What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Am a bit late posting today. Had a bout of pretty bad migraines last night until 6 a.m.(work stress related, but fortunately extremely rare for me) and slept in today.

@Goonergal -- I've generally observed a similar effect of too much protein (especially at night) on morning blood sugar levels. So, I think this would be quite typical. Did you see this talk by Ben Bikman at LowCarb Breckenridge on the effect of protein on insulin in the context of a low carb diet. I found this talk extremely fascinating. https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-be...vs-glucagon-the-relevance-of-dietary-protein/

For all those of you interested in insulin resistance, this is another really fascinating interview with Ben Bikman. I have learned a lot watching this. https://www.biohackerslab.com/ep42-dr-benjamin-bikman/

Thanks. I’ve book marked to view later.

Sorry to hear about your migraines - I was a long term chronic sufferer, so can empathise. Happily one of the effects of LCHF has been their disappearance!

@ianpspurs thank you for the video!

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.9 today....carb heavy day yesterday,hubby is very unwell and has been taken into hospital this morning ......still waiting for news,son is with him and daughter is on her way to check on me.

Hope things are ok now @Glenmac , you guys are certainly having a run of bad luck. Fingers crossed for you all.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I really love Fleetwood Mac
You are most welcome. I recently saw a documentary about them, especially the making of Rumours. I often have that on play when I use static bike for long steady cardio and I bought the CD again. I played the original vinyl to destruction at Uni.

Gates

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have to give this one more thought.
Hi everybody, I have visual issues so be patient please. I have read quite a number of results which I find absolutely amazing. My BG this morning before getting up was 8.4 I have them tested by an assistant. My down fall is getting anything inside first thing. However, working hard to change all this.

Gates

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry, forgot to give info on insulin:
Levemir
Novarapid

Reactions: karen8967

Gates

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Now here's a little puzzle for ya.

I went out with family yesterday to celebrate daughter's 21st birthday. Both she and I are diabetic and she has other issues (see previous posts).
I had chicken curry and pilau rice and saag aloo (spinach and potato) and she had chicken biriyani.

My bs this morning was 9.2, exactly the same as it was yesterday and daughter's was 10.3 (big reduction on the 13's and 14's she has had recently!).

Nope, I can't figure it out!

Just wanted to add that I can fully understand the moderator's concern that this thread stays friendly. I have noted posts to newbies that have more or less been hijacked by individuals who want to get their point across and don't seem to care how (or where) they do it. It's good to remember just how confusing and frightening all this can be for someone newly diagnosed..I'm just starting to feel less nervous now and I have been diagnosed for a month!

I think this thread has a feel good factor about it, nobody passing judgement on anyone else no matter what the figures are so I doubt very much if the mods need have concerns.

Look forward to checking in tomorrow. :)
Good for you Ladybird.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hello all. Am a bit late posting today. Had a bout of pretty bad migraines last night until 6 a.m.(work stress related, but fortunately extremely rare for me) and slept in today.

Blood sugars were 4.8 upon getting up at 11 a.m.

@heavyd and @ianpspurs -- I observe the same thing, when I exercise (usually quite strenuous cardio), my blood sugars go up by about 2 mmol. They then slowly come down within the next two hours to pre-exercise levels. A year ago, they dropped more significantly -- sometimes into the 3s after about 1 hour, but this doesn't happen any longer. Maybe because my muscles now primarily use ketones. It does help with insulin sensitivity though and I tend to see lower numbers in general, so probably worth keeping up.

@Ymdawd -- great low fasting levels today. This is wonderful. Well done.

@eggs11 -- Great result. Congrats. I am so happy for you.

@dogslife and @ickihun -- Big hugs from me.

@Goonergal -- I've generally observed a similar effect of too much protein (especially at night) on morning blood sugar levels. So, I think this would be quite typical. Did you see this talk by Ben Bikman at LowCarb Breckenridge on the effect of protein on insulin in the context of a low carb diet. I found this talk extremely fascinating. https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-be...vs-glucagon-the-relevance-of-dietary-protein/

For all those of you interested in insulin resistance, this is another really fascinating interview with Ben Bikman. I have learned a lot watching this. https://www.biohackerslab.com/ep42-dr-benjamin-bikman/

Blood sugars were 4.8 upon getting up at 11 a.m.

@heavyd and @ianpspurs -- I observe the same thing, when I exercise (usually quite strenuous cardio), my blood sugars go up by about 2 mmol. They then slowly come down within the next two hours to pre-exercise levels. A year ago, they dropped more significantly -- sometimes into the 3s after about 1 hour, but this doesn't happen any longer. Maybe because my muscles now primarily use ketones. It does help with insulin sensitivity though and I tend to see lower numbers in general, so probably worth keeping up.

@Ymdawd -- great low fasting levels today. This is wonderful. Well done.

@eggs11 -- Great result. Congrats. I am so happy for you.

@dogslife and @ickihun -- Big hugs from me.

Thanks ziggy_w. I hope you are fully recovered from your migraines by now and are feeling much better.:)

Peterseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
6.7 this morning and I did it after my shower - thought that just in the first hour after getting up was the thing.

So just sometimes I need to get up at around 4 am to visit the lemon tree but then make a cup of tea and go back to bed till around 7 30 and I take a reading because in my mind I had just “got up”

Should I take my reading before my botanical sojourn - that’s also before my shower

Hope you all have a beaut day

Kind regards peter

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thanks for heads up re the book. How do you know/calculate homeostasis as opposed to with interventions? Is this any use https://currentprotocols.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/0471142727.mb29b03s7
I could not access the link. My views are based on numbers seen with moderate exercise and comfortable eating for the FBG. I haven't seen a 6 plus for ages after eating, and settle in early to mid 5's. As I eat a stack of nuts, I think these are what keep my HbA1c's higher than I expect. I notice when I have eggs, bacon, mushrooms and tomato (huge portions), I am around 4.8.

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.9 today....carb heavy day yesterday,hubby is very unwell and has been taken into hospital this morning ......still waiting for news,son is with him and daughter is on her way to check on me.

Hi @Glenmac. Thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed that everything will turn out fine.

Gates

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have read a great deal more about peoples comments and results, and as I mentioned in an earlier comment, all very inspiring. Thank you all