What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add to my food a very large LC Baileys on ice. @Chook - we can laugh now but I'm not sure if the younger one was upset at getting whacked on the head or the fact 2 fingers broke of the back scratcher. No 1 did point out that he had broken his back scratcher so now I'm tasked with finding new ones (although I'm not sure it's wise).
Santa run is complete hence the Baileys. I've taken over niece's fridge since she's in Newcastle until Thursday night.
Pretty much done for tonight apart from packing Hubby's soup into the fridge (which is not creaking at the seams now).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Very off the reservation for my OMAD but well worth it. Salmon, prawn and avocado mousse X 2: tomato and mozzarella; green salad: prawns in filo pastry; coquille; saint jacques ; a few berries; Heston's fig and port cheesecake (amazing and half price;); red wine (cotes de Rhone) and Metaxa. May stray further tomorrow as the environment seems to agree with me. Take care.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I meant to say that if anyone wants a good way to use up leftover turkey, I made this the other night with some leftover chicken. It was really nice and looked just like the picture. Granddaughters both had a slice for lunch yesterday and loved it. The sesame seeds in the crust give a lovely nuttiness to it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-curry-pie

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
24-12-19
Good wishes to everyone for a peaceful and happy Christmas.
Breakfast. Buffet on the ferry: egg, smoked salmon, ham and cheese. Coffee.
Lunch very late. About 3 pm.
One slice toast, smoked salmon, champagne.
Finished the shopping and present wrapping, more champagne.
Son arrived home.
Food and wine, mostly Fois Gras and pâtè, with one slice of my pain kapnor toasted.
Films and wine. Don't think I have been holding back a lot, but empties are piling up and both men are snoring in front of TV.
Edited to correct date.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting convo with MIL today over lunch:

Can you tell that I have no time for some of these sexist, selfish, domestic traditions? I mean, for goodness sake, why should one family member do all the shopping, prepping, cooking and serving, while everyone else just does a token bit of washing up afterwards, then waits for the next meal to magically appear?

I have no intention of making a rod for my own back by starting heavyweight family food traditions that someone (me!) then has to uphold for the next 50 years. Perish the thought!!!

why do people put up with it?

I found myself rather annoyed.

One thing I made sure of when my boys were young was that they could do all the "housewifely" chores and, therefore, be able to look after themselves and/or their families. Neil is a very good, experimental cook (I experiment a lot) and has been known to cater for about 20-30 at a time, and No 2 son is also a very good cook but prefers, most of the time, to stick to recipes. Neil doesn't eat "normal" food due to Crohn's and loads of allergies, so only prepares his own food but he does do the rest of household chores when necessary (problem - he doesn't see jobs that need doing much of the time) and he is a brilliant fixer of problems around the house. No 2 son is useless at DIY (DIL says he is a danger to himself when he has a tool in his hand, but he does try) but he does a lot of the house work - even the laundry until DIL started up her own laundry business, usually cooks evening meals and does a great job with festive meals for largish numbers of people and then he and DIL do the washing up between them.

I'm rather proud of the way they turned out - fit to be good husbands and fathers. Their Dad used to help a lot around the house (a dab hand at the ironing) but was not a great cook although he did make pretty good bread. His mother thought he shouldn't do these kind of things. These were women's work! But he did his best. It's a generation thing.

I was supposed to be invited to No 2 son's house for Christmas dinner and evening but both Son and DIL thought the other had invited me. Never mind, I'd bought my own Christmas roast - fore rib of beef - just waiting to go into the oven now. They all came here, to me, yesterday evening, bearing gifts and the younger ones were allowed to open one of theirs. A little cruelly, Em had given here brother (the one in danger of diabetes) something in an "After Eight" box with a note that said "because I love you so much". It contained (raw) Brussels sprouts! She loves them, but she also knows that he doesn't. She has a wicked sense of humour for a 7 year old. Never mind - I daresay there will be plenty of sweet things for him to tuck into today.

I hope everyone has a very happy Christmas and midwinter festival and keeps the BG as low as reasonably possible.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Merry Christmas everyone, and it has certainly been merry here with champagne, chocolate while opening presents then a very peculiar quorn bacon sandwich while prepping the veg. Quorn bacon looks and tastes a lot like orange spam.I

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and enjoy a peaceful and healthy New Year xx

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
23-12-19
Usual CWC and nut granola follwed by 2 eggs.and some cheese.
Lunch we finished up all the salad and open pâté plus a slice of ham. BG was high, so no carbs for me.
Dinner on the ferry. Buffet starter. Prawns,salmon, egg mayonnaise, couple of salads and olives.
Main sturgeon on a lentil stew. Was dismayed to find it a decent size portion. Ate about tablespoonful. Was not a fan of the beluga sauce.
Several small.pieces of cheese. We tried some varieties new to us. Delicious.
Desserts. As usual failed to resist that about tablespoonful of each. Crême caramel, sadly it was a bit solid, should probably have left that one. The pistachio version was absolutely heavenly.
And then had a tiny sliver of the chocolate frangipane and pear tart.
We shared a bottle of rosé and later I had a glass of white.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning, and Merry Xmas!

I am sure you are all delighted to hear that SIL has risen from her deathbed to cook MIL and BIL and the little BILs their turkey dinner, so everyone is happy. Except the plague ridden SIL I expect. Not only is she ill, she is also vegetarian, and catering for 4 turkey eaters. Hey ho. Her choice.

Here at Chez B we are just in from a fab sunny, cool but delightful dog walk, with lots of mud and soggy leaves and calling the pack backwards and forwards through the squidgy areas, honing No 3's recall, and getting everyone tired and wet and muddy.

We will have the steak and salad and stilton and fried onions later this afternoon when the worms start biting.
Mutts will each have a little of the steak. rare.
Then we can all forget about food for 24 hrs.

And I will be able to get straight down to the business of the day - my new video game, on the 50 inch screen in the front room.
I may be some time.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm full! Haven't eaten so much in years (really). Roast beef, roast celeriac and celeriac braised in beef stock (can't remember what it is called. What remains of my "brain" keeps wanting to say chiffon, but I don't think it's that and I just can't remember what it is). Plus onions roasted under the beef, butter fried shredded Br. sprouts and roasted courgette slices. There's still lots left over - stock pot is on for veg peelings etc and beef stock, enough bubble and squeak ingredients to last for days and beef to slice until after the new year celebrations. Eating alone, of course so no dessert and no crackers but what the heck, I still over-ate. See pics below. Nothing on TV I haven't seen before (or don't want to see for the first time). I'm not lonely, but I wanted someone to talk to - so I am talking to you. Might make a very early night of it. Happy Christmas all.
S3500004.JPG
S3500005.JPG

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast yesterday (25th): Usual bacon eggs etc.
Lunch: Barbeque steak, chops, salad.
Dinner: WA sea food, baked fish, prawns, bugs, various salad stuffs.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, single malt whisky, water.

Had a fasting bgl of 5.5 this morning.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Merry Christmas everyone.

@Chook orange spam?! Yuk!
@Brunneria dog walk and video game sounds perfect.

Lots of food here - smoked salmon and cream cheese for breakfast at my Dad’s, which seemed to make me hungry, so some almond butter and clotted cream and a few nuts.

Lunch at Dad’s wife’s mother’s house. Roast chicken, a few small sausages, bacon, sprouts and a piece of my keto flourless chocolate cake with oodles of cream.

Dinner at same location some cheese, a few almonds and 25g Moser Roth 85% chocolate. BG 4.1 on arrival back at hotel so allowed myself an Aldi nut bar.

Stuffed!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: turkey, pigs in blankets, one tiny roast potato, mixed veg and small amount of thin gravy followed by low carb Christmas pudding with extra thick double cream.
Tea: buffet of cold meats, cheese, more pigs in blankets, pâté, cheesies (puffed cheddar cheese) and salad followed by Oppo vanilla cheesecake with cream and LC chocolate granola.
8B2EFA41-C991-409E-8CF1-B81BE06C561E.jpeg

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
25-12-19
Happy Christmas everyone

Breakfast
Bacon, sausage, 2 eggs and five baby plum tomatoes. CWC
Started on the champagne about 1.30pm
Lunch. About 4pm
Steak, 1 roast potato, ditto parsnip. Carrots and turnip cooked in butter. Sprouts and tenderstem brocolli. Red wine gravy.
Cheeses. Half a slice of seeded bread. (Forgot to use my own pain kapnor. ) 2 delicious macaroons, a pistachio and a raspberry one. (6.2g carbs each)
Glass of dessert wine
Several glasses of water during the meal.
Not really eaten again, picked at the remains of the cheese board. Coffee with cream and tea. More wine ofc.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have been trying to catch up for the last two days, but only managed about a week's worth of posts so far.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone a very merry Xmas.

Hope you all were able to spend these special days with loved ones.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have been trying to catch up for the last two days, but only managed about a week's worth of posts so far.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone a very merry Xmas.

Hope you all were able to spend these special days with loved ones.

Merry Christmas to you too, @ziggy_w - hope you’ve enjoyed some good food today.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Merry Christmas to you too, @ziggy_w - hope you’ve enjoyed some good food today.

Thank you for your kind wishes, @Goonergal.

In Germany, the most important day is Xmas eve (rather than 1st or 2nd Xmas day) -- I had prepared four side dishes (mushroom-spring onion-truffle gratin, zucchini and bell pepper in tomato cream sauce, cauli rice with eggplant, onion and chick peas, and guacamole), my husband fried some skirt steaks -- really delicious.

Today, I mostly lazed around and had way too many caramelized pecans.

Hope you have also spent some wonderful days with your family.