What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
B: bacon and egg, coffeencream
L: crustless quiche and cheese slices
D: (simmering now) chicken thighs with Mediterranean veg in Pataks mild curry paste. Plus garlic, umami paste, coconut cream powder and a dash of Worcestershire. Oh, and Mr B got one of those packs of onion bhajis, and veg blobs. Av 5 g carbs ea. I wonder if I will be able to stop at 4...?
Hi is the crustless quiche a supermarket one? I wondered if I could tolerate a quiche L without a crust from Asda. Ooooo I do hope so. Xxxx

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
B: bacon and egg, coffeencream
L: crustless quiche and cheese slices
D: (simmering now) chicken thighs with Mediterranean veg in Pataks mild curry paste. Plus garlic, umami paste, coconut cream powder and a dash of Worcestershire. Oh, and Mr B got one of those packs of onion bhajis, and veg blobs. Av 5 g carbs ea. I wonder if I will be able to stop at 4...?
Hi is the crustless quiche a supermarket one? I wondered if I could tolerate a quiche L without a crust from Asda. Ooooo I do hope so. Xxxx

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about Asda, but Sainsbury do crustless quiche, but at around 15gm carbs per 100 and around 20 ingredients, they are not on my menu!! I'll stick to home made omelettes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect it would have been a home made quiche. The trouble with supermarket quiche is you don't know what's lurking in the ingredients. Making it yourself is simple and easy to control.
Here's a recipe for one with a crust I've used before.

https://www.thedietchefs.com/keto-quiche-recipe/

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Reactions: maglil55

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
A first for me to record my meals but here goes!
Breakfast: Two tablesps Greek yogurt, then added two dessertsps of Chia and Pumpkin seed mix, then 8 blueberries, and sprinkled all with a dash of Cinnamon. Cup of Earl Grey with my metformin.
Lunch: Small chunk Cheddar Cheese, plus handful mixed nuts with one slice low carb bread and butter. Cup of Earl Grey
Dinner: Oven cooked Salmon, Wilted Spinach, small amount of Cauliflower Cheese. All topped with Salad leaves. Earl Grey
Just had glass of Almond milk with a square of Lindt to complete my days banqueting :)

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!
Hi what’s a Atkins bar and what’s them other bars u eat and the carbs please can I just ask on low carb can we eat baby plum tomatoes

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not posted for a few days and forgotten what I’ve eaten anyway. Today however I can just about remember.
B: h/m 0% fat Greek yoghurt with grain free granola
L: 2 air fried chicken legs, a whole tomato - what a treat! And a sizzle of h/m ranch dressing.
D: Slow roast, bone in, unrolled brisket. I am indebted to @ianpspurs and the wonderful food fairy for this method. I’ve always cooked brisket in some kind of liquid and it’s usually dry and tough however long it’s cooked. This took 8 hrs and was moist and melt in the mouth. Heavenly! Roast aubergines and mushrooms and fresh runner beans ( I ate half of them raw while stringing them earlier). 2 glasses red and some pecans and 100% choc buttons to follow.
@Rachox good to see you back, I’m glad you’re not in pain still. Your hospital food doesn’t look too bad really and the view is great.
Edit to add photo of the brisket.
Further edit as it won’t let me add the photo.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi what’s a Atkins bar and what’s them other bars u eat and the carbs please can I just ask on low carb can we eat baby plum tomatoes

Just type ‘Atkins’, ‘Carb Killas’ or ‘PHD Smart’ bars into Amazon, Tesco or whatever your preferred seller is.
Pls be aware that that all of these bars contain polyols, a type of sweetener that can still spike your blood sugar. I’m lucky they don’t mine but other members here report that they do. This is dependent on if you absorb them much or not. With this in mind you need to subtract the carbs from the polyols from the total carbs, which will give net carbs, ie the amount you will definitely absorb. However more importantly you need to test your blood sugar before and after one to check your own body’s reaction.

As for baby plum tomatoes, I can eat a couple but again the only way to be sure is to test yourself.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
Ff greek with seeds and 4 blueberries and 4 raspberries.
Skipped lunch as ended up doing a much longer steeper dog walk than planned, but did have cake, yes proper cake, raspberry and almond it was, yummy. As part of my one carb a day libre experiment. It rose me but only to 9.5 and came down within 3 hours.
D: plate of green salad, 1 tablespoon coleslaw, 6 olives, manchego, pate. Dessert of 4 blueberries and 4 raspberry with spoonful ff greek.
Glass of wine.
Racked up 17000 steps at least half of which were vertical up hill.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and anAtkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and orange chia pudding.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and Keto granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today
B: ff greek with seeds blueberries and raspberries.
Then a walk into town to farmers market. Bought some lovely mixed tomatoes, then it went downhill to 2 local cheeses, some very expensive sausages and 6 macaroons, 3 for hubby 3 for me.
Then another walk this time with dog, 2 hours solid walking to pub. Carb test for today spinach and ricotta cannelloni, sadly bland.
Did rise me to just over 9 for 2 hours but felt oh so bloated and full.

Had 20 minutes in hot tub, to find that rose me 2-3 too. There's just too many variables with this annoying diabetes lark:banghead:

Dinner, a cold plate same as last night but with the macaroons for dessert. Bg results awaited.
18000 steps today. Dog sleeping like a log

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Just type ‘Atkins’, ‘Carb Killas’ or ‘PHD Smart’ bars into Amazon, Tesco or whatever your preferred seller is.
Pls be aware that that all of these bars contain polyols, a type of sweetener that can still spike your blood sugar. I’m lucky they don’t mine but other members here report that they do. This is dependent on if you absorb them much or not. With this in mind you need to subtract the carbs from the polyols from the total carbs, which will give net carbs, ie the amount you will definitely absorb. However more importantly you need to test your blood sugar before and after one to check your own body’s reaction.

As for baby plum tomatoes, I can eat a couple but again the only way to be sure is to test yourself.
Hi thanks I’m ok with the fibre one protein bars I will get some and test my bloods I think I might be ok with them. I’ve reversed my diabetes it’s 54mm to 36mm in 3 months with diet diet exercise I’m still sticking to the diet I’ve got one more stone to lose I haven’t had a treat or nothing yet can u tell me if once your levels r normal can u have the odd treat or will your bloods spike still thank u for getting back to me x i will try the tomatoe with cheese in a sandwich tomorrow I use low carb bread x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks I’m ok with the fibre one protein bars I will get some and test my bloods I think I might be ok with them. I’ve reversed my diabetes it’s 54mm to 36mm in 3 months with diet diet exercise I’m still sticking to the diet I’ve got one more stone to lose I haven’t had a treat or nothing yet can u tell me if once your levels r normal can u have the odd treat or will your bloods spike still thank u for getting back to me x i will try the tomatoe with cheese in a sandwich tomorrow I use low carb bread x

Sorry to sound boring but it’s all down to testing. I didn’t have any ‘treats’ for a long time after I had had non diabetic HbA1cs
I’m four and a half years in and now I still only have say six chips with an otherwise low carb dinner, just on special occasions.

Reactions: Annb

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not posted for a few days and forgotten what I’ve eaten anyway. Today however I can just about remember.
B: h/m 0% fat Greek yoghurt with grain free granola
L: 2 air fried chicken legs, a whole tomato - what a treat! And a sizzle of h/m ranch dressing.
D: Slow roast, bone in, unrolled brisket. I am indebted to @ianpspurs and the wonderful food fairy for this method. I’ve always cooked brisket in some kind of liquid and it’s usually dry and tough however long it’s cooked. This took 8 hrs and was moist and melt in the mouth. Heavenly! Roast aubergines and mushrooms and fresh runner beans ( I ate half of them raw while stringing them earlier). 2 glasses red and some pecans and 100% choc buttons to follow.
@Rachox good to see you back, I’m glad you’re not in pain still. Your hospital food doesn’t look too bad really and the view is great.
Edit to add photo of the brisket.
Further edit as it won’t let me add the photo.
Thanks for the tag. Best thing about that is Brisket is cheap as chips, 2.5 kgs for £13 - thought I'd be arrested for shoplifting on my way out.:)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 dry fried eggs and one slice of toast. Definitely put the BG up by about 5 points.

2nd meal: didn't happen although I did mean to make something. Not really hungry.

Em came in with her Mum and Dad to show me her new "Silver Cross" pram. New to her but actually made in 1972 and still in perfect condition. In it she had the large, antique doll that her great grandmother gave her a few weeks ago. So she was very happy with my present - a mattress, pillow and quilt set for the pram. She was also very happy with the box of Thorntons chocolates that I'd added in (a bit more sophisticated than the sweet junk she likes - trying to educate her tastes a bit).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tag. Best thing about that is Brisket is cheap as chips, 2.5 kgs for £13 - thought I'd be arrested for shoplifting on my way out.:)

Good to see you are still around, Ian, and as humorous as ever. Hope you are keeping well.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you are still around, Ian, and as humorous as ever. Hope you are keeping well.
Still about @Annb. Hope all is well with you. We are busy collecting grandchildren. All 7 were here Thursday evening and will be again tomorrow. 3 week old grandson wanted nothing to do with the brisket or wine last Sunday - who knew?. My menu - same for about 6 days a week most weeks *- often complete with Alexa alarms for timings: 3 x 800 mls mugs of Assam tea with almond milk (1st has 2 tsps inulin) - from 5.30 to 8.40 ish; 11.00 am 800 mls coffee (really flavoured almond milk) sometimes have 30 mls cream instead (I do measure it to the ml) just more water and sf caramel syrup; 13.00 - 13.30 flaxseed (50 gms) porridge inc inulin and chia protein powder - 2 tsps each-(whey protein isolate sometimes) 170 gms Fage 0% or Kefir + protein, (100 gms), 40 gms raspberries - more tea; 18.00 huge salad with mackerel in EVO - sometimes an avo. I target protein and fibre. No likey added fat (but 73 kgs is probably low enough) so if it comes with the protein, meh. Very little red meat despite eating brisket:banghead:. *Julie likes a Sunday roast and 91 yo MIL comes now we've all moved - very sensitive topic for me:sour::sour::sour: I also simply fail to see how LC roast works food wise but socially it works well so I smile and wave, smile and wave. I maybe back here in a year but hope you all keep well meantime.

Last edited: