What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, for lunch today I had a bacon sourdough sarnie, which was lovely. So I thought I'd end today with something a bit more low carb, so I had a chicken tikka with a side salad, which was as equally lovely. Excuse the slightly dark photo.

PXL_20240518_212920169.jpg

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Ok guys, once again please cut the chat, please stick to what you’ve eaten, photos are great! Any other chat please take to the parallel thread. It did improve greatly & thank you for that, but it’s slipping back again. Going forward, anything more than what you’ve eaten and a sentence or two (not paragraphs) that is relevant to your choices & the post will be deleted. If someone asks for a recipe then it’s fine to post your recipe or a link to the recipe, but once again keep the chat to being relevant to the recipe.

Also, any posts discussing this CTO will be treated as derailing the thread and will be deleted. Mods would like to remind members of the forum rule C7 “Moderator decisions are final”

Thank you for your cooperation.

Parallel thread is here, please use it for chat.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of weeks ago I did home made chicken shawarma, so I thought I'd try a bought version. And I had it with steamed Savoy cabbage and a few boiled Jersey Royals with butter on. Although the bought shawarma was nice, I think I preferred my home made version.

PXL_20240519_120332672.PORTRAIT.jpg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Tea x 2
Coffee and cream x 2
Gouda Ham and coleslaw
Gouda tomato and Ham.....
Might have another coffee and cream later

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one slice of bacon egg and LC toast
Lunch kimchi with smoked salmon followed by a couple of strawberries and spoon in yoghurt
Dinner treat of fillet steak with mushrooms, onions and a few tomatoes and glass of red wine
IMG_20240519_173439_kindlephoto-450089184.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- lump of cheddar and a handful of walnuts before settling down to listen to another super informative set of talks and discussions at the PHC conference.
L- l/c toast and pate.
D- slow roast lamb breast, parmesan and cream cabbage, steamed broccoli. DGF cookie.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two eggs scrambled in butter with a generous dollop of double cream, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Baked whole sea bass, belly stuffed with fennel fronds and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
Steamed asparagus spears topped with a knob of butter.
Baked calabrese, cauliflower, leeks, onions, garlic and Romano peppers.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Salad made with anchovy fillets, eggs, avocado, rocket, Padrón chillies, salad onions, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with pecan halves.
Water to wash down tablets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok guys, once again please cut the chat, please stick to what you’ve eaten, photos are great! Any other chat please take to the parallel thread. It did improve greatly & thank you for that, but it’s slipping back again. Going forward, anything more than what you’ve eaten and a sentence or two (not paragraphs) that is relevant to your choices & the post will be deleted. If someone asks for a recipe then it’s fine to post your recipe or a link to the recipe, but once again keep the chat to being relevant to the recipe.

Also, any posts discussing this CTO will be treated as derailing the thread and will be deleted. Mods would like to remind members of the forum rule C7 “Moderator decisions are final”

Thank you for your cooperation.

Parallel thread is here, please use it for chat.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/
Could you please provide examples of what has recently consistuted "chat". I do find it all so confusing

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, cheese, ham, 1 small slice melon, greek yoghurt, milled seeds. 1 fig biscuit

L: tuna salad and a slice of spinach pie. Left most of the crust. Half a scoop ice cream

Mid afternoon a full scoop ice cream

D: aperol spritz, tablespoon pasta, some sort of meat with a stuffing. Some sort of ricotta cheese dessert. Red wine. We were at a group dinner where no menu or choices were provided

Libre says 9.5 but only for a short time. The midafternoon ice cream was worse. For me it's quantity that does it

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Could you please provide examples of what has recently consistuted "chat". I do find it all so confusing
I do not normally read any chat threads and don't often read general 'food threads', I'm not a sociable person, so I very rarely chat, thus am probably not the best to answer this. Also, I don't want to pick on any one person since it isn't just one.

"What have you eaten today" is about just that - food you actually got down your throat. Especially if it was really nice or if it gave an unexpected BG reaction.
Chat is all the other things - where you went, who you were with, how you felt, mistakes in choosing food so it was not edible, asking others about those things etc.

There have been several recent borderline posts which contained about as much 'chat' as about what was eaten. Too many of those will disrupt this thread.

I'm actually disrupting this thread by answering you, but I hope my fellow moderators will understand why I do so in the thread rather than a PM.

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: Gammon steak with a side salad and mayo.

2024-05-20 18.58.46.jpeg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Went out this morning, somewhere different.
Ended up having a Latte with whole milk.
Cheese, ham and coleslaw salad.
Cottage cheese and tomato
Tea x 2

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and crevettes, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Baked halloumi and Romano peppers.
Roast cauliflower with Egyptian duqqah; almonds. hazelnuts, pistachios. sesame, fennel, cumin and coriander seeds.
Hummus and Kalamata olives.
Salad made with cucumber, salad onions, raspberries, strawberry halves and mint, dressed with olive oil, garlic, a touch of lemon juice and topped with toasted sesame seeds.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, mussels, shredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery, thyme and baby plum tomatoes with a dollop of aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds amazing, would you share how you make this?

View attachment 67762
Egyptian duqqah (sometimes transliterated from arabic as dukkah) is dead easy to make and adds flavour and a crusty coating to roasted vegetables and fish, or a finishing touch to soups and salads. It's nice sprinkled on hummus. Egyptians use it with chicken too.

Ingredients
8 tablespoons hazelnuts
3 tablespoons almonds
4 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 tablespoons pistachios (shelled)
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt to tast (optional)

Method
Put the hazelnuts and almonds in a dry pan. Do not add oil. Toast until the nuts turn golden brown and fragrant. Set aside while you toast the sesame seeds briefly until they take on some colour. Put toasted nuts and seeds in a mortar or a food processor together with the rest of the ingredients and grind to a coarse mixture, about the consistency of bread crumbs.

Dukkah will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks in the fridge but we seldom have any left for that long!

You can buy duqqah ready made in some supermarkets, but personally I wouldn't give those products house room, Its success depends on the freshness of the ingredients, particularly the nuts and seeds. Plus a home-made condiment enables you to vary the ingredients to suit your own particular preferences.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coffee and cream x 2
Went out late and brought back a small greek yogurt and fresh blueberries.
Was going to eat half today and half tomorrow.... I didn't and scoffed the lot.
Ham and 1 slice of gouda.
2 small chicken thighs.

Rachox

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: tuna melts with cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.

2024-05-21 19.30.28.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee and cream x 2
Went out late and brought back a small greek yogurt and fresh blueberries.
Was going to eat half today and half tomorrow.... I didn't and scoffed the lot.
Ham and 1 slice of gouda.
2 small chicken thighs.
We're all different @filly, but if blueberries prove problematic (they would be for me), fresh raspberries or strawberries are available now, mostly imported from Spain.

I can handle blackberries and black currants too, but it's still too early for fresh ones of course.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs smothered with butter and avocado seasoned with black pepper plus a wedge of goat's milk Gouda.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso

L: Wild Alaskan salmon baked with calabrese broccoli, chestnut mushrooms, double cream and lemon verbena.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad using tiger prawns, brown shrimps, rocket, baby plum tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, cucumber, Nocellara olives and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pistachios.