What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I read it as Sausage and Walnut Bread! Didn't fancy the sound of it. Oops!

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all.

Turns out I didn't exercise after all last night. So, my blood sugars were a bit higher this morning -- let's see if I am more motivated tonight.

@Goonergal -- When I had more weight to lose, I found it much easier to skip meals. Now that my BMI is in the normal range, I get hungry more often. Maybe this is what is happening to you too.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: About 100g of hummus, two scrambled eggs, roasted vegetables (bellpepper, eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms) in olive oil, about 60g of Greek yoghurt.

A double decaffeinated espresso macchiato with xylitol while out and about this afternoon.

Dinner: Roasted vegetables with Greek yoghurt, cole slaw, a DD keto roll with butter, a wiener sausage, three smallish pieces of low-carb brownie, a glass of dry red wine.
Welcome back @ziggy_w - missed you. What are the DD keto rolls like? I have the recipe and have been going to make them for a few days now but never got around to it yet.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Way behind again.
Friday
Bed 6.8 FBG 7.2
Back at Aqua fit today after the snow knocking everything to pot. Arms are paying for it now. I'm used to the big Aqua weights but 2 weeks without them is a killer on return.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. @Brunneria's cheesy corned beef thingy (but my mexicanised version). I find I'm adding even more hot sauce to it.
D. Hubby at football so had one of Tescos finest beef burgers with grated mozzarella, bistro tomatoes, lettuce, 1/2 avocado, boiled beetroot and Helmanns.
Halo Top mint and last of the raspberries.
Saturday
Back to swimming with No 1 grandson.
Bed 6.9 FBG 6
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Yes - my mexicanised version of @Brunneria's cheesy corned beef thingy again. Gee I love that dish. Thinking about adding a few red kidney beans to it next.
D. Slice each of ox tongue, rare roast beef, fire and smoke turkey , mortadella and ham. Lettuce, few Santini tomatoes, boiled beetroot, cheese coleslaw and coronation chicken.
Scoop of Halo Top cookies and cream with raspberries.
Today - Sunday
Woke to thick fog and it's still there.
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.1
BG's a bit up and down. Touch of the DPs this morning. Got to 8.1 before breakfast turned it around.
B. Lovely fry up thanks to the very low carb Tesco GF Cumberland chipolatos and my local butcher who does a GF low carb black pudding! 2 GF chipolatos (1g carbs), 1 Slice GF black pudding (2g carbs), fried egg, 2 rashers back bacon. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. 2 bits lemon sole with wilted spinach.
Wee prosecco (maybe) and a scoop of Halo Top cookies and cream with raspberries.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal and @DJC3, just tried the Hotel Chocolat Teaolat. I let it stew for a minute and tried it black, didn’t like it, so I put a teaspoon of cream in (tea bag still in mug) made it a little better. Made a coffee and took both mugs into the lounge. I drank the coffee and was still thirsty so rather than bothering to get up and fetch another drink I drank the Teaolat, I actually liked it! I obviously need to leave it to stew for much longer! However I’m sticking with the black coffee for now, as from tomorrow I’m cutting down on cream a bit to try and kick start my weight loss again. I’m going to see if I can get one of the peppermint ones to try too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @DJC3, just tried the Hotel Chocolat Teaolat. I let it stew for a minute and tried it black, didn’t like it, so I put a teaspoon of cream in (tea bag still in mug) made it a little better. Made a coffee and took both mugs into the lounge. I drank the coffee and was still thirsty so rather than bothering to get up and fetch another drink I drank the Teaolat, I actually liked it! I obviously need to leave it to stew for much longer! However I’m sticking with the black coffee for now, as from tomorrow I’m cutting down on cream a bit to try and kick start my weight loss again. I’m going to see if I can get one of the peppermint ones to try too.

You’re right, I think they do need to stew for longer than a normal teabag, at least it was free!

I’ve been thinking about you saying you are cutting back on cream in case it’s stalling your weight loss. It made me think about the amount I’m having so today I measured out 50ml as my daily ration - to be honest I could easily have drunk it in 2 cups of coffee let alone breakfast and pud. I had been just glugging it out of the carton and obviously using far more than I thought, so thanks for the nudge.

Hope you get on better with the peppermint teolat

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An eating day

10am steak and eggs with a few chips
4pm homemade liver and heart pate with harrissa and extra garlic on a slice of gf toast
6pm baked salmon with a choc mousse to follow

Probably more carbs than i have had in a single day since Xmas! Be interesting to see how my tum reacts...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox yes, letting the Teaolat stew is important. I tried it black yesterday when I was fasting and didn’t like it - the cream is a critical ingredient!

Breakfast - none

Lunch - inspired by @Mufflana cubed courgette mixed with bacon lardons and garlic salt and pan fried. Dessert was a few raspberries and cream.

Dinner - my favourite. Brined chicken leg with cauliflower cheese, followed by 5 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

Edited to add garlic salt. Am going to be using that more often.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I measure my cream first thing and then water it down in a jug then I can froth it and it goes much further!
Hope everyone had a lovely Mothering Sunday I did.
Breakfast coffee and cream
Lunch cheese and nuts
Dinner belly pork, braised celery, cauliflower cheese and pudding strawberries and cream
Several coffees throughout the day. Now sat with feet up enjoying a gin and soda water whilst others wash up and sort out - lovely. Need to start packing tomorrow for holiday on Tuesday can’t wait a break from caring, work etc!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good idea @shelley262, I’ll do that. Ive seen you mention mixing with water and frothing up to make a ‘flat white’ what proportion cream to water works best?

Happy packing, you must be so excited!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled eggs on half a toasted Lidl protein roll with marmite.

L: slice of ham, olives, cream cheese and celery

D: cooked by 2 daughters- roast lamb, roast celeriac, buttery, garlicky cabbage, broccolli and cauliflower with melted cheese on top.

They did brilliantly and have made a chocolate olive oil cake for pud which we are about to have. Just need to figure out carbs per slice

My Monday morning will be spent cleaning the kitchen I think, after all the ‘help’ I had today! Wouldn’t have it any other way though.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good idea @shelley262, I’ll do that. Ive seen you mention mixing with water and frothing up to make a ‘flat white’ what proportion cream to water works best?

Happy packing, you must be so excited!
In a jug about one third cream and two thirds water leaves it still quite creamy I find and froths up well suppose it makes it more into a semi skimmed milk without the carbs!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled eggs on half a toasted Lidl protein roll with marmite.

L: slice of ham, olives, cream cheese and celery

D: cooked by 2 daughters- roast lamb, roast celeriac, buttery, garlicky cabbage, broccolli and cauliflower with melted cheese on top.

They did brilliantly and have made a chocolate olive oil cake for pud which we are about to have. Just need to figure out carbs per slice

My Monday morning will be spent cleaning the kitchen I think, after all the ‘help’ I had today! Wouldn’t have it any other way though.
Recipe I use is 18g per cake so depends how big a slice you have !

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@slelley262 Is that all? We used the Nigella/ BBC good food one. Substituting sweetener for the sugar. Is that the same recipe?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@slelley262 Is that all? We used the Nigella/ BBC good food one. Substituting sweetener for the sugar. Is that the same recipe?
Yes it is although I use 50g of 100% chocolate melted rather than cocoa which is probably lower carb. Edit but not a lot lower I’m sure,

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
decaf coffee with 3 tbsp heavy cream and 2 sweeteners
strawberry protein powder with 2 cups 0 carb almond milk
500 grams frozen boiled cauliflower with 3 tbsp butter

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes it is although I use 50g of 100% chocolate melted rather than cocoa which is probably lower carb. Edit but not a lot lower I’m sure,

I use the same recipe - scaled down for a smaller tin, but the proportions are the same. Works out at 2.7g carbs per slice (cut into 6).