What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Admin please delete if this post is in the wrong place. Can anyone recommend a LCHF friendly yoghurt?

And is any cream ok? Or do I still need to check labels?

I have spent so long avoiding fat, finding it hard to build back in.

Thank you in advance.
Yoghurt is not the easiest as they tend to be low fat and a bit too much sugar. I tend to go for full fat greek plain yoghurt and flavour it myself with something like a few raspberries or use a sugar substitute if you want it sweetened.
Cream is absolutely OK. I go through loads. It is difficult to get your head around it having been told for years low fat/low calorie is the way to go but low carb/high fat works for many of us.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's food list:
B: 2 x 1.5 pints tea with 30 mls double cream
Mid Morning Snack; Kale chips and Cheddar
Whilst shopping; Travel mug of coffee with 30 mls single cream
L: Nada
After dog walk: 6 slices salami crisps; 2 mugs tea 1 with single cream 1 with almond milk
D: Haloumi chips; mushrooms; Cheese omlette; Butter; Rhubarb fool; flaxseed; Psyllium husk powder; Apple cider in wter

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And that's Tom ordered for delivery today.
And it's arrived. Got to love Amazon's same day delivery. Had a look and I can honestly say I'd cook all of them (some I'd adjust but I wouldn't be me if I didn't ).
My eyes lit up at low carb bread and butter pudding AND creme brulee.
Got to say though some of the mains are a bit high on carbs for one meal but I could probably get them lower (or they'd be OK if the rest of the day was zero carbs).
Meantime I am trying to stop myself making more salami crisps - told you they wouldn't last. Told some of the Mums about them and they've done batches and are also addicted.
Question - what other meats would work? Parma ham for one but there has to be others.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee & cream
L: 3 x chicken chipolata sausages with guacamole
D: cold chicken, leek & goats cheese crustless pie, gravy; Oppo chocolate & hazelnut ice cream

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most bizarre day. Was supposed to be traveling to Shrewsbury for meetings, but had to turn back on way to Euston as feeling terrible. Nauseous, dizzy, light headed. BG high all morning - couldn’t get out of the 6s and blood pressure running low. Ravenous all day. Ate so much and now my 2 hour post prandial reading after dinner is 4.4, down from 4.6 before.

So late breakfast was the packed lunch I’d prepared for the train - Lidl protein roll with salami and cheese followed by a bag of salted almonds.

Lunch was another Lidl protein roll (there’s a theme) with almond butter.

Dinner was - you’ve guessed it - a Lidl protein roll with smoked salmon and cream cheese followed by Oppo salted caramel ice cream.

Also ate 40g Lindt 90% and a bag of M&S pork crackling - very good!

Still feeling wiped out.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hectic day today so did 23/1 Intermittent Fasting as good opportunity
Dinner chicken stir fry followed by slice low carb lemon cake and cream
@Goonergal sorry to hear about your illness - rest up and hope you feel better soon - get well hug and thoughts heading your way
@maglil55 re dd rolls query - last time I used fibre flour for a trial this time used two thirds almond flour and one third seeds ground in coffee grinder I also added some whole seeds
@jayney27 have a brilliant holiday - hope sun shines on you
@ziggy_w thanks for your good wishes
@ianpspurs all these recipe ideas I need to check out the dopamine book! I wondered about adding some inulin to the lemon juice in the drizzle cake @ziggy_w what do you think this may make it crispier and sugary on top? May experiment next time!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: burger made from left over lamb and halloumi cheese with cauli & brocolli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: black coffee and a peanut Phd bar. Not sure who recommended these, but got some in my Tesco delivery, they are huge for the negligible carb count and delicious to boot. Thanks whoever mentioned them!
Dinner: cauliflower & broccoli cheese with small portion of peas and sweet corn followed by strawberries with mixed Oppo. Finishing the last scraps from the tubs! Need to stock up at Sainsburys tomorrow.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: burger made from left over lamb and halloumi cheese with cauli & brocolli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: black coffee and a peanut Phd bar. Not sure who recommended these, but got some in my Tesco delivery, they are huge for the negligible carb count and delicious to boot. Thanks whoever mentioned them!
Dinner: cauliflower & broccoli cheese with small portion of peas and sweet corn followed by strawberries with mixed Oppo. Finishing the last scraps from the tubs! Need to stock up at Sainsburys tomorrow.
Bars sound interesting

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bars sound interesting
They are high protein bars sweetened with polyols (excessive consumption may have a laxative effect! ;)).
Three different flavours, but expensive! Although on offer, four for the price of three in Tesco just now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Latish post as I get back from yoga after 8 and I’m always starving. Didn’t fall over so I’m pleased with myself.

B: scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado

L: stir fry in coconut oil, marinated tofu, cauli, red pepper and mangetout. Lemon chia pud. This was a fairly carby meal for me, around 10g but I wasn’t expecting such a spike. Went from 5.4 to 7.3 at 2hr. Good thing I didn’t splosh on the soy sauce ( checked label just before and stopped myself in time)

D: salmon with coconut and Indian spices. This was lovely, it was in the paper last weekend, not as a low carb recipe, just happened it was. Had it with asparagus and courgetti. Sugar free jelly and cream afterwards

@Rachox glad you are ok today.
@Goonergal hope it’s just a short lived thing and you’re ok tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wondering about the sweetener - Adonis bars are more expensive but use erythritol which has no effect on my bgs and I like erythritol but I have heard that malitol which is in these bars can - what effect did it have on your bgs @Rachox ?

No no effect 5.3 before and 5.1 after 2 hours!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Latish post as I get back from yoga after 8 and I’m always starving. Didn’t fall over so I’m pleased with myself.
B: scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado
Very nice breakfast and yoga sounds interesting.

Reactions: DJC3