What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

First things first, welcome back @Chook lovely to see you again and welcome to the thread @PenguinMum

@maglil55 your son certainly did you proud with the personalised food.

@Brunneria hopemthe tiredness soon goes and @Boo1979 sorry about your nightmare journey.

Good day for me - long day out at Kew Gardens followed by a walk along the Thames Path to Richmond. Day out meant an OMAD day. Dinner was ribeye steak with garlic butter and an ‘open’ Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich (i.e. one egg not two).

Going to try and follow World Carnivore month this January to see if I can go full on carnivore.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, very good to see you @Chook.

Funnily enough I was only thinking of you a few mins ago, as I prepped my shortcut version of the DD chicken/pesto/olive/feta thing. Without any cabbage! haha![/QUOTE ]

OMG - you have just reminded me of Cabbage-gate. I have never EVER eaten so much cabbage in one week.... and Mr Chook's face seeing it all crammed in the fridge.... and the four dozen eggs and huge tubs of cream and several packs of butter.... LOL.

it was after that chicken, pesto, cream casserole that i decided (aling with Mr C) that we don't enjoy cream in savoury foods - love it in desserts though. :p:p:p

Reactions: maglil55 and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, they did have quite a reputation.. LoL
The rows they tried to have with us, and we just smile and see it as part of the entertainment...:hilarious::hilarious:

Better now...but still not 'Silver Service'.
Not sure about card, yesterday was aborted, missus not too good still (still a bit fluey)
But we always pay cash, not worth the row, if they don't want to take cards.

But the food is still excellent, 5 floors of chinese restaurant, brimming with Chinese and almost always a queue, whatever floor your on, and still cheap.. Worth the hassle..(sent many there, none disappointed )

Ended up with chicken cottage chicken peri peri style n salad...very tasty...and no spike :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well can now post todays eatings.
Breakfast: small keto cheese scone buttered. Tea.
Lunch: 2 softly scrambled eggs eaten from a bowl followed by more tea and one of my dark choc florentines made by Thomas Fudge in the West Country.
Supper: small steak with tomato and portebello mushroom and small salad. About to have last cup tea of the day.
Thanks for the encouragement...good to be here with all you friendly people.
Note: take tiny drop milk in tea and drink 1.5 - 2 litres water in a day usually.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: LC herby biscuits with extra strong cheddar with leafy salad and cucumber followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: chocolate peanut square and black coffee.
Dinner: gammon steak with a fried egg and celeriac chips followed by CCB bar and cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in the big smoke after my dash up north and Christmas spent there too
Sugars were moderately well behaved over xmas - some higher than usual readings but I think most of those were more stress than food related, although the low sugar hotel Chocolate gift box shared between 3 of us may have contributed on xmas day and boxing day. The journey home capped it all off - the train was fuller than a london tube in rush hour and was involved in a fatality as it hit someone on the line - a 2 hour journey became 41/2 hours.
Todays food has consisted of bits and bobs rather than full meals
Hebba pap porridge, 2 lemon muffins, a josephs pitta bread, scrambled eggs & smoked trout, Rocket & lambs lettuce have all featured alongside 2 soya milk cappucinos and 10 smoked almonds

Gosh that train journey puts things into perspective, poor soul.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.4 and no idea what FBG was as Hubby moved my testing kit. Found it eventually. He puts things away "safe" then swears he didn't. Was a bit late emerging this morning. Drink of the day has been water and lots of it.
B. Slice of Morrisons high protein wholemeal with a boiled egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing - son wanted a lift to Tesco (couldn't believe it was open) so took him along for a look around.
D. Got the stew made and I had it with some carrot, green beans and vegetable chips. Had a whole 1 inch of pastry. Last little bit halo top with 5 blackberries.

Even more water. Off to bed soon.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back in the big smoke after my dash up north and Christmas spent there too
Sugars were moderately well behaved over xmas - some higher than usual readings but I think most of those were more stress than food related, although the low sugar hotel Chocolate gift box shared between 3 of us may have contributed on xmas day and boxing day. The journey home capped it all off - the train was fuller than a london tube in rush hour and was involved in a fatality as it hit someone on the line - a 2 hour journey became 41/2 hours.
Todays food has consisted of bits and bobs rather than full meals
Hebba pap porridge, 2 lemon muffins, a josephs pitta bread, scrambled eggs & smoked trout, Rocket & lambs lettuce have all featured alongside 2 soya milk cappucinos and 10 smoked almonds
What a truly awful journey. @DJC3 said poor soul indeed but I feel for the driver - must be seriously traumatic for them.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a truly awful journey. @DJC3 said poor soul indeed but I feel for the driver - must be seriously traumatic for them.
Yes it must have been awful for him. He actually seemed very calm, unlike the onboard train manager,- we were standing in the space between the drivers cab and the first passenger carriage, so saw quite a bit of the driver - I would think he may have experienced a delayed reaction once the shock abated.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal I’m pretty sure “Richmond on Thames” is my city’s sister city. We are Richmond (on the James)
@boo79 I’d think they trained for that kind of thing? Like pilots have mandatory simulator training for in-flight emergencies. Doesn’t made it any less awful for anybody, though.
Bfast a whole avocado (throw caution to the winds!) boiled egg, decaf/soy/cream, 10 almonds
Lunch 3 tall celery, 8 cherry tomatoes, lc tortilla with almond butter yummy!, chunk of swiss cheese
Supper mess of greens, tomatoes, yellow sweet pepper, 1 sardine (3 in tin), piece of fresh Birdfeeder Spice Bread w 1 tbsp butter.
IMG_7227.jpg

Kingmidas

Experiment with breakfast today.

1 dessertspoon oats
2 dessertspoons desiccated coconut
Coconut milk (slightly too much!)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp xylitol sweetener
Cacao nibs on top

My version of chocolate ready brek

Started off a bit like soup but thickened up as it cooled down.

No good for people who can't tolerate oats of course, but as I'm 'low' rather than 'no' carbing it was a really nice hot breakfast! It's a frosty day with beautiful blue sky and I felt like something porridgey was just what I needed!
20190102_092624.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Experiment with breakfast today.

1 dessertspoon oats
2 dessertspoons desiccated coconut
Coconut milk (slightly too much!)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp xylitol sweetener
Cacao nibs on top

My version of chocolate ready brek

Started off a bit like soup but thickened up as it cooled down.
!View attachment 30362
Oooo yummy!

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast and Dockey: Lots of tea
Lunch: lack of discipline - hadn’t earned the right to that (came from refusal to put more logs on the fire because I googled average uk room temp) 1 slice flaxseed crispbread and h/m chicken pate; nibbles of jarslberg and Rutland red; Tea; Turkey jelly/dripping on Schneider brot Protein bread toasted from frozen ; Really reminded me of past pleasures post Christmas
Afternoon: Cocoa - almond milk and cream - comfort but a bit weak to give in to that
Evening meal:Tea; maybe LC dips, celery and cucumber - test this sleeping to destruction
No early wake up so yesterday was a success for that alone. This WOE is difficult for me on days like this but lunch was a good LC blast from the past; Low energy, low output day but no slip ups. Hope you all had good days.

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today has had a lemon & bacon theme!
Breakfast - LC lemon muffin with soya milk cappuccino
Lunch (ish) - 4 rashers Nitrate free streaky bacon with a watercress & rocket salad dressed with lemon juice
Mid afternoon - LC lemon shortbread with mug of tea with lactofree milk
Snacky things - 2 brazil nuts and 8 smoked almonds
Dinner - yet to be decided - Im not very hungry as yet - I think it may well be a toss up between a mushroom omlette or tuna salad

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Managed to keep to a narrowish eating window today ( if I can now avoid snacking tonight)

Glad you had a better night’s sleep @ianpspurs

Breakfast: scrambled egg, 1/2 avocado coffee&cream

Looking after grandchildren today as their m&d are back at work. 6yo declared she only likes ‘gammon and salmon’ ( she also likes rhyming) so went to Coop via playground to get salmon fillets. Luckily on special offer. I should have known they wouldn’t eat a whole fillet each, I had their leftovers in another leftover - Dr Almond bread roll ( this was the white ‘toasting loaf’ mix, horrible when I first made it, like eating a bath sponge, but mellowed after a few days in the fridge, now soft and bread like and quite good). About 30g HC Yule log afterwards.
Dinner was the salmon fillets I’d actually bought for us - done in IP and was brilliant: 3 minutes! With lemon butter sauce and roast broccoli and kale.
I haven’t cooked fish in the IP before but will definitely be doing it again - didn’t make the house smell either so win win.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started today on a 6.5 and DP for me goes on for hours. Quite cold here this morning and I had lots to do with everyone gone.
Breakfast: 1 slice HiLo toast loads butter. Tea.
Lunch: at 1.30 was still 6.0 on meter but was hungry so had a wedge of stilton and 3 cherry tomatoes, little gem leaves followed by cup of tea.
Supper: will be a large spoonful of chilli beef, cauliflower rice and a longstem brocolli spear. Maybe a LoCal jelly. Coffee. Hope OH wont be too late as would like to eat by 8pm. No g&t tonight as we are limiting booze to Fri and Sat for January! We know we wouldnt be able to do dry January!
Hope first day back to reality treated you kindly.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Managed to keep to a narrowish eating window today ( if I can now avoid snacking tonight)

Glad you had a better night’s sleep @ianpspurs

Breakfast: scrambled egg, 1/2 avocado coffee&cream

Looking after grandchildren today as their m&d are back at work. 6yo declared she only likes ‘gammon and salmon’ ( she also likes rhyming) so went to Coop via playground to get salmon fillets. Luckily on special offer. I should have known they wouldn’t eat a whole fillet each, I had their leftovers in another leftover - Dr Almond bread roll ( this was the white ‘toasting loaf’ mix, horrible when I first made it, like eating a bath sponge, but mellowed after a few days in the fridge, now soft and bread like and quite good). About 30g HC Yule log afterwards.
Dinner was the salmon fillets I’d actually bought for us - done in IP and was brilliant: 3 minutes! With lemon butter sauce and roast broccoli and kale.
I haven’t cooked fish in the IP before but will definitely be doing it again - didn’t make the house smell either so win win.
Does IP allow skin to be crisp on salmon fillets in the 3 minute method? Wake up time has been better recently. Comment was due to yesterday's early OMAD and previously seeing silly O'Clock waking. Obviously very helpful later in the year when chickens are desperate to be freed at first light.

Last edited: