What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

It’s been a day and a half.
Tea, no breakfast.
Then I drove OH to have his annual eye check. Sat in the car happily reading until he came out (chairs in the waiting room are awful).
Car wouldn’t start. It’s a long story, but anyway called the garage who sent someone to rescue us. In the meantime I went to a small supermarket for starvation rations. Bought bread/butter (for OH), cheese, toms, nuts and water. We spread the butter with my (washed) glass nail file.
The garage guy put in a new battery (no I wasn’t listening to the radio) and we drove home.
Had some yoghurt and berries plus coffee for the stress.
Dinner was cauli rice plus some bolognaise sauce from the freezer with curry sauce mixed in. And a glass of red.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 and @Chook dementia in any form is a horrible disease. To watch someone you love loose their identity is terrible. Looking after someone is very hard, please make sure you look after yourselves too.
So far today I have had coffee with cream for breakfast. At lunch time I went to support a local community cafe and had ham and eggs (left the chips and sweetcorn on the plate.) It was the best of the non low carb options available.
For tea I am about to enjoy lettuce and cheese followed by some Greek yoghurt and maybe a little nut butter.

Viv19

Hi Viv it sounds to me like you are doing really well great about going down a size too. Hopefully you will get to the maintenance stage where you will be able to have a couple of squares of high % chocolate without too much worry. I dont always stop at a couple though! ;)

That’s what I’m worried about PenguinMum. My self control is finite! I can’t get rid of all the temptations in the fridge and cupboard because OH is still eating ‘normal’ food. But at least he doesn’t have a sweet tooth (apart from ice cream and chocolate ) so there are no cakes or biscuits on his menu.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A pretty dull day for me, mostly spent hanging around on the phone or in the phone shop.
NE1: 1/2 avocado, 50g smoked salmon, a scrambled egg. CWC
NE2: Salad of leaves, the other 1/2 avocado, hb egg, asparagus and a tin of sardines in oo. More olive oil in dressing and a flaxseed bun with it. 10g orange Montezuma’s. TWAM
That should be it for today but I have 30g almonds carefully weighed out in case I get hungry later.
@Viv19 well done on your progress so far and I completely get the worry about buying chocolate - I have trouble with the stop button too. ( having said that I have 6 bars Montezuma’s in the cupboard at the mo)
@Chook fingers crossed for Mr C’s interview - did they say when they’d let him know? I don’t have experience of dementia/ double dementia but it sounds like there may be some difficult times ahead, hugs for that.
@maglil55 steak and wine sounds like a perfect Friday night to me!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hamburger kinda day in this here flat hood. Somehow at 4.00 am oldest son had decided a 40 mile taxi trip from Newmarket races was a better idea than the 7 mile taxi trip home so knocked on our bedroom window. Went back to sleep for about 4 hrs then had lots of tea. Drove the man child home - he is H and S office for a major UK charity:angelic: - looked at a house in that town and haggled for a haunch of venison as you do - £30 from £42.50. Costa almond milk latte. Drove home. walked dogs on their favourite walk leaving about 15 mins before taking the lab to be euthanised. So far no NE but will have salmon (defo crispy skin) and salad with avocado and h/m mayo. @maglil55 thanks for thinking of us today - Julie cried I was on the edge.
NzGgFWVTh9ujcqsNklqpAGp_MnVuOu2CgClfloUDRN6u8ff33A29MWNGU8hY9NrCWQyDgP4Q5J0o-QL1BbpFT_ELfLSoybEVBCmzb42VmRMVhZkBZZVTyu4I3KV0rtYG1pdwSf0n

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook @Viv19 @zauberflote @PenguinMum
@Goonergal @Bildad @DJC3

@shelley262

and others who gave hugs and things x

Thank you for all your good wishes and advice and more. I appreciate it all as I was very nervous before I went in, and had a bad night’s sleep.

In the hospital, it was explained again that I have sudden onset primary acute angle closure glaucoma.

It happened suddenly with no warning. It was only by chance I was called for a periodic eye appointment at the hospital. And this was when it was said it was a matter of urgency because I could lose my sight at any moment with not enough warning to save it. I need my eyes to lipread as I am deaf.

I didn’t take this well initially and went for a second opinion. Because it was totally out of the blue, and I ‘only’ attend this hospital over my dry eyes with Sjogrens Syndrome, this diagnosis was unexpected. And especially because I had none of the symptoms the initial eye doctor insisted I should be experiencing, including severe pain and white flashes etc.

The eye doctor today, a very pleasant man, explained in detail, using analogy how close I had been to totally losing my eyesight.

The scary thing is I always attend my diabetic retinopathy appointment yearly, and nothing was picked up there. And also my last eyetest with my optometrist was just at Christmas 2018, and nothing was picked up then. I had this Liverpool eye hospital appointment sent me in February 2019, but then the hospital sent me a text cancelling it for their reasons, and sent me a new appointment for March 2019, and that was when the sudden onset primary acute angle closure glaucoma was diagnosed. It was confirmed again when I got a second opinion myself a week later in Wales.

So as you can guess I didn’t really believe it initially, especially as I had no symptoms at all.

What I am trying to say is I did all the right things in taking care of my eyes, I never miss an appointment, and yet that would not have been enough.

I have another diabetic retinopathy appointment in a months time, and that possibly would have been too late to save my eyes. They could have gone at any moment.

The eye doctor today explained it was a combination of me being long sighted, having diabetes, and because of the severe dry eyes of my Sjogrens Syndrome.

However, this laser treatment, of laser iridotomy, to reduce the pressure might not be enough, and I may still have to have cataract surgery, (even though I don’t have cataracts) but once you have cataract surgery with this kind of problem, you can never lose your eyesight because of it as no pressure can build up now as any liquid constantly drains away.

The eye doctor was very patient with me explaining carefully stage by stage and giving me all the time I needed to understand. Then half way through him explaining to me I urgently needed to wee!!

He told me to take all the time I wanted, and come back to him when I was ready.

When I went back he said he would give me as much time as I needed before he did the procedure. Anyway he explained more, and then a consent form to sign on an iPad, and gave explanations. He patiently explained all that I needed know.

The thing is, because he was so kind and caring and patient, I had no fears of anything during the laser procedure which he was giving me, and I felt confident enough to say what I felt during it if there was pain or discomfort, and he sorted it.

Consequently I was able to stay perfectly still and not move a millimetre because I placed all my trust in him.

He said patients would often draw back as they thought they felt the laser which is so not a good idea, obviously.

It went well for me, and the eye doctor was absolutely delighted with how I stayed relaxed and still.

And I was streaming Hildegard Bingen from my iPhone to my Cochlear speech processor to completely chill me out. I had been streaming it earlier in the different noisy discordant waiting rooms. A hospital is not conducive to a relaxed patient.

One more thing. I did have friends who warned me of this that and the other during the laser treatment. I won’t say what they said here. But don’t listen to anyone. There is nothing to it.

If you are not sitting comfortably in that laser chair, tell the laser operator, they can adjust the chair. If you need a wee, say so, and go. If when the laser operator puts the contact cups on your eyes (with gel) to keep them open during the procedure and they feel uncomfortable, then tell them (I did) and the laser operator can give you a moment for your eyes to get used to that alien contact lens cup.

I thought the actual firing of the laser into the eye was amazing to watch in my eyes. I felt like a modern day Frankenstein’s experiment (in a good way I hasten to add!). In my eyes was this pure whiteness, and then this amazing red visual lightning crackling and moving round in a circular motion. It almost didn’t last long enough. I was enjoying the light show. I wish I could explain it better. But I might try and make a painting of it tomorrow!

I am tired now after this long day.

I need a cuppa! Then I will post my food! I was eating lc food on and off all the time I was in there. But there was a fruit and veg stall in the foyer, and I bought a punnet of raspberries, a punnet of massive blackberries, and a punnet of blueberries!

>^..^<

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow @gennepher ! What a rollercoaster of a day you’ve had! I can’t imagine how scared you must have been. Anyone faced with losing their sight would be frightened, but being deaf already you must have been terrified. Your doctor sounds like a wonderful person, I’m so glad he was able to take your worries away from you. Thank heavens it was caught in time. I’m glad Hildegarde did her stuff for you too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hamburger kinda day in this here flat hood. Somehow at 4.00 am oldest son had decided a 40 mile taxi trip from Newmarket races was a better idea than the 7 mile taxi trip home so knocked on our bedroom window. Went back to sleep for about 4 hrs then had lots of tea. Drove the man child home - he is H and S office for a major UK charity:angelic: - looked at a house in that town and haggled for a haunch of venison as you do - £30 from £42.50. Costa almond milk latte. Drove home. walked dogs on their favourite walk leaving about 15 mins before taking the lab to be euthanised. So far no NE but will have salmon (defo crispy skin) and salad with avocado and h/m mayo. @maglil55 thanks for thinking of us today - Julie cried I was on the edge.
NzGgFWVTh9ujcqsNklqpAGp_MnVuOu2CgClfloUDRN6u8ff33A29MWNGU8hY9NrCWQyDgP4Q5J0o-QL1BbpFT_ELfLSoybEVBCmzb42VmRMVhZkBZZVTyu4I3KV0rtYG1pdwSf0n

That venison looks fine!
My heartfelt sympathies to you both for the loss of your dog. I was taken by surprise at the pain I felt when Tilly was put down. It was a real physical pain. Hope your other dog doesn’t get too depressed over the loss of his companion.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That venison looks fine!
My heartfelt sympathies to you both for the loss of your dog. I was taken by surprise at the pain I felt when Tilly was put down. It was a real physical pain. Hope your other dog doesn’t get too depressed over the loss of his companion.
Thanks for the concern, I am content that we picked the point when his pain and loss of muscle hadn't quite become unbearable. The other dog is a her who came in totally against my wishes and I don't have anywhere near the connection with her. The venison does look spiffing - quite pleased with that buy and looking forward to seeing it on the table probably as the 2nd option at Christmas dinner. Meaty December.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I have eaten today...the day of my eye laser treatment in hospital.

Fbg was 10 at 5 am

Breakfast was Black coffee, and eggs and cheese in the microwave.

Then on to the hospital very early cos it’s a distance from here, and I wanted at least an hour in the Starbucks across the road from the hospital. Just to wind down.
So a small cappuccino in Starbucks.

Then hospital where there was explanations of stuff and more tests before the laser treatment.
During this time I was crunching through not a small bag of pork scratchings...

After laser treatment I was sent to get a cup of tea and wait for an hour. There had been a small bleed in my left eye at the point of laser treatment (it happens, one of those things the eye doctor told me), but they needed to make sure the pressure behind my eye didn’t build up because of it.
So, a mug of tea. Me trying to do selfies on my phone to work out what the eye bleed looked like.
Also I ate 3 boiled eggs, 2 babybels, 4 small squares of cheese, and found another bag of pork scratchings in my backpack which I ate, oh and nibbled through a small container of bacon bits.
All that while just drinking a mug of tea...

My hour had passed, so went back. Nurse checked eye pressure. And gave me a prescription for steroid eyedrops to try and prevent infection.

Went back to hospital cafe. Two more mugs tea. And more protein odds and ends of food in my bag. I was just eating. I had to. More bathroom visits.

On way out of hospital pass their fruit and veg stall in the foyer. So a punnet of raspberries , a punnet of blackberries, and a punnet of blueberries..
Ate all the raspberries before I got home, and all the blackberries as well. I still had to just keep eating.

At home I checked my blood glucose and it was 9.2 even after all that fruit. This was around 2:30 pm

So I had my lunch then, 2:30 pm
3 slices silverside beef
2 large tablespoons cheese coleslaw
I boiled egg that I found languishing at the bottom of my food carrier bag
A large handful blueberries with double cream
Two mugs tea.

I should have drunk more water during the day, but the bathroom suits were already too frequent.

It is now nearly 8 pm and my bg is 9.1
A miracle it is not higher.

I am now having coffee with cream

I actually enjoyed eating the way I did today, but I suppose it was stress that I kept eating.

>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher what a day you have had and you have been incredibly stoic andthank goodness you had an understanding doctor/consultant. I hope you will have some good rest over the next few days....I am thinking shed with Popeye....take care. X

Reactions: zauberflote

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow @gennepher ! What a rollercoaster of a day you’ve had! I can’t imagine how scared you must have been. Anyone faced with losing their sight would be frightened, but being deaf already you must have been terrified. Your doctor sounds like a wonderful person, I’m so glad he was able to take your worries away from you. Thank heavens it was caught in time. I’m glad Hildegarde did her stuff for you too.
Thank you.
This particular eye doctor was very good in every way. I wish all doctors were like him.
I hadn’t thought of streaming Hildegard, but I peeked in on here before I set off and @zauberflote had suggested streaming Hildegard to reduce the stress. And it was actually a good idea.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher what a day you have had and you have been incredibly stoic andthank goodness you had an understanding doctor/consultant. I hope you will have some good rest over the next few days....I am thinking shed with Popeye....take care. X
Thank you.
That was a very good eye doctor. I appreciate I got him.
Potting shed and Popeye do figure in my plans for the next few days....
Thanks x

Viv19

Phew... what a morning! Mr C went for a job interview which, if he's successful, will be 9-5 Mon-Fri and only 12 minutes drive from home!!!! He, being Mr Pessimism, is convinced he won't get it (thinks he's too old at 59) but I'm a glass half full kind of person so I've got my fingers crossed.

Then, while he was at his interview, my BIL phoned to say my MIL (who a couple of months ago was diagnosed with 'double dementia') has had a fall in the street while wearing her nightie and carrying her handbag. I don't know anything about 'double dementia' but it seems to be progressing very fast. Has anyone had any experience of a relative with it? Her GP isn't being very helpful.

Today's food...

NE 1: Usual 2 egg mayo on cricketers
NE 2: Nothing - just a cup of tea with skimmed milk
NE 3: Trout fillets, mangetout, sprouting broccoli
Followed by: Strawberries
Drinks: BDC, TWSM, SSW, CFDC, RW

That is very difficult Chook. My MIL had dementia, not sure about double though. But she was in a (very new and purpose built) home here, after it became too dangerous for her to live in her flat, and went for a walk at night in her nightie and with her rollator (is that an English word?). Fortunately the police found her before anything awful happened and took her back. They put an address label on her walker after that, but she still managed to wander again and fell down some back stairs (together with her walker) in the home, though thank heavens not being seriously hurt.
It is distressing.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Babybel cheeses with leafy salad and two cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold Chinese style pork, cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by a Halo Top peanut ice cream.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 you are wise to shut off the socials for stress control. I liken forums more to cafés than media. Since I have not succumbed to any non-café media at any time, I'd hate to be me if I had! I hope all your paperwork a few weeks ago will produce positive fruit soon. Take care of mama cos if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! (That's you I mean by mama)
@Chook crossing everything for Mr C! How wonderful that would be!!! As to "double dementia" I'm going to guess MIL simply has two types of dementia. Sometimes it makes a difference for treatment options, other times it makes no difference at all. My mom probably has Alzheimer's, and as she's 91 and had "late onset" (in her 80's) we don't treat with drugs. That ship sailed too long ago. We just do our level best to make her environment conducive to peace in her heart, given her brain is physically disappearing day by day.
This is way OT, so PM me if you like. I've learned that the dr you want is called (in US) geriatric psychiatrist. And/or increase supervision for MIL so wandering doesn't result in death of exposure (a real risk).
Return to regular programming...
@Viv19 now that is what I call resourceful, spreading butter with our purse's best friend!
@DJC3 what, you didn't even consider upgrading? Where's your spirit of devil-may-care??
@ianpspurs tears are appropriate. My heart is with you, and I'm glad the hardest part is over. My most recent cat one, I was able to pet her as long as I wanted while the sedative took effect. It was very healing, as she purred steadily to comfort herself, which comforted me.
@gennepher your doctor and laser crew sound straight from heaven! I am so delighted that you clearly had a Very Good Medical Team who gave you a smooth experienced. Do paint while it's still fresh in your brain, and post a pic for us! Glad you're back with us! Put a few berries in that painting.... ;) and I'm really glad Hildegard helped!
@Viv19 you're right about dementia being distressing. And Rollator is at least an American word, yes. They're very common here.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only