What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Catch up post- Feeling sorry for myself.Lower back pain that my hypochondria says is my kidneys failing but is much more likely to be a result of the physio working me hard to correct the limp my new knee has developed. Sore knee, sore back, gastro stuff probably because of the amount of time I spend flat and ending up taking big painkillers without food just generally blah with my numbers up slightly as a result. Rant over, sorry.

Thursday's food.-
Breakfast- Ketoroma panda porridge
Lunch- 4 rollitos, an egg followed by a small apricot
Dinner- spinach, 2 cherry tomatoes and smoked salmon.

Friday's food-
Breakfast- 1 slice of fried heylo bread, a rasher of streaky bacon and a fried egg.
Lunch- 4 rollitos an egg followed by an atkins peanut butter cup
Dinner-ketoroma seeded roll, streaky bacon and cheddar followed by jelly and a splash of cream

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast today was my usual 'Staffie' oatcake, but with 5 fish-fingers. A cup of tea and a cup of coffee - well, mugs really. The coffee with cream, the tea as nature intended. Since then I've had a bowl of veggie chilli with extra mushrooms, another cup of coffee and then another. I'm currently drinking a glass of Kombucha. Later this evening I'm at the mercy of my wife's culinary expertise (she's good). It's likely to be more veggie - or possibly fish.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a square of cheese very early this morning a while before swimming and then shopping,

Edit: Oh an a small bit of cucumber and hummus as there was a scraping left, forgot that.

Just came in and had some corned beef salad, two spoons of yoghurt, few berries and half a 'slab?' - small individually wrapped Moser Roth 85% chocolate from ALDI.

Probably a good thing I just came in and ate something.

Just after I was starting to get the beginning of that really particular odd 'shakey' feeling I used to get when my blood sugars would be high and I assume had dropped but back to baseline, I tended to be when I was out and about after walking or doing something but had it indoors a few times.

Now and again, I'd come over all woozy, clammy, sweaty, drained of all energy and like was in a dream. I used to get an urgent need to sit, a feeling of sort of impending doom, like if you take certain things like zinc on an empty stomach, sort of shakey feeling, and I'd get a bit irritated like feeling some sense of panic had come over like a dark cloud. Funnily my mouth and face almost tingly, and I'd get a strong urge to eat something sugary, which seemed to work as soon as I did, it almost felt like a blind panic to get at something sugary really quickly and throw into my face as quick as I could to stop the awful event. I was a right mess one minute and then after a minute or two I felt as right as rain.

I only managed to test it once when it was happening and it didn't seem like a real hypo at all as my bs was about 4.8 when I did, but had all the feeling of what I assume is described about one.

Seems to be wearing off before it became anything like that today, but because I ran out of strips I couldn't test it this time to see what was happening now that my blood sugars are in a much lower range now day to day.

Being frugal at the moment, really do need to put in an order for some more strips anyway, also in case that happens again to see what's going on there, been a long time since it has happened and it happened few and far between anyway but when it did it was awful.

Last edited:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Catch up post- Feeling sorry for myself.Lower back pain that my hypochondria says is my kidneys failing but is much more likely to be a result of the physio working me hard to correct the limp my new knee has developed. Sore knee, sore back, gastro stuff probably because of the amount of time I spend flat and ending up taking big painkillers without food just generally blah with my numbers up slightly as a result. Rant over, sorry.

Hopefully it's the re-alignment. I've been thrown off before by things which have more likely causes, but try and tell that to the brain when its in the throws of some health anxiety! I thought my recent lower back thing where I couldn't walk 500 yards without it seizing up was something like kidneys/spinal stenosis/god know what else, suffered for months with it and it turned out to be my mattress putting me out of alignment!!!. the realignment has been a bit painful but I can walk distances again now.

Saying that I've always been cautious and got myself checked out because I was concerned.

Last edited:

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Cheese and Porchetta
Sausages and cucumber for the rest of the day.
Cheese again.

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Coffee with little milk
porridge very small portion ( mainly to check reading , now off the menu), berries and youurt
air fryer cooked streaky bacon , poached egg x 1 4 small tomates.
cheese and thin bread stick, lamb stew with veg and cauliflower rice,berries yogurt
med glass of red
finished by 6 pm

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A 2 meal day today
Brunch kefir then one slice of bacon, egg, mushrooms (cooked in olive oil) and low carb toast. Thought I'd do a breakfast photo today
IMG_20240210_103845.jpg

Also had a spoon of my cooked rhubarb and yoghurt
Dinner hm chicken curry with LC roti. Also had two long gin drinks each made with a shot of gin mixed with a dash of my 'cordial' from cooking rhubarb a few days ago with lemons and ginger.( I'd left ginger and lemon in leftover cooking liquid and popped in fridge). Because of pink rhubarb it's a lovely pink colour and with addition of soda water made a wonderful long gin fizz. For pudding had some 100% chocolate with decaffeinated coffee.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carb killa bars are made by Grenade, available in Tesco. They are sweetened with polyols (artificial sweeteners) which suit some diabetics, but not all
Have you had these, @Rachox? If so, how did your BG react to them?

I saw them in Tesco when I was in there, but saw they had sucralose and maltitol in the ingredients. Ended up avoiding them as maltitol has had mixed results for me BG wise previously so I'm a little cautious around it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had these, @Rachox? If so, how did your BG react to them?

I saw them in Tesco when I was in there, but saw they had sucralose and maltitol in the ingredients. Ended up avoiding them as maltitol has had mixed results for me BG wise previously so I'm a little cautious around it.
My blood sugars are fine with them. Others aren’t so lucky.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: Brie and cranberry on a low carb roll with coleslaw.

2024-02-10 18.52.51.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A "perkier" bar which I sometimes find in Morrisons. Not a lot to them but fills a small gap.
Yoga
Lidl (where I actually stuck to the list yay!)
L : defrosted egg mayo ( had made it when I got a load of hard boiled eggs very cheap). Was rubbery and watery. Has some ham as well. Definitely a "fuel meal"
Made some lc brownies but forgot to add the eggs until just before cooking so they didn't mix in well.

Spent the afternoon curled up in my chair reading Malcolm Kendriks "the Clot thickens" about heart disease, incluidng the links to diabetes. Fascinating but quite easy reading. Pot of turmeric and ginger tea refilled twice.

D: stir fried pork and veg. Mini ice cream. Cucumber water. 2 brownies.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t read The Clot Thickens’ @MrsA2 but I have a lot of time for Malcom Kendrick. I’m on his group email list and always enjoy his discussions.
B- h/m strained yoghurt with blueberries and seeds.
L- cheese omelette, made from eggs collected a couple of hours earlier from daughter’s hens.
D- mixed chopped salad with a bit of everything that needed using up from the bottom of the fridge. The last of my fermented beetroot&ginger on top. A couple of airfried chicken legs to follow.
@PenguinMum and @Paul_ I agree about the issues around eating out, and eating with friends. It’s one of the reasons I really like Nando’s too
IMG_1707596705.660800.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t read The Clot Thickens’ @MrsA2 but I have a lot of time for Malcom Kendrick. I’m on his group email list and always enjoy his discussions.
B- h/m strained yoghurt with blueberries and seeds.
L- cheese omelette, made from eggs collected a couple of hours earlier from daughter’s hens.
D- mixed chopped salad with a bit of everything that needed using up from the bottom of the fridge. The last of my fermented beetroot&ginger on top. A couple of airfried chicken legs to follow.
@PenguinMum and @Paul_ I agree about the issues around eating out, and eating with friends. It’s one of the reasons I really like Nando’s tooView attachment 66102
Gosh that salad with kimchi on the top looks wonderful and so colourful too - your gut bacteria will be having a party!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
I was interested in what @Paul_ said as I think the biggest loss of LC is the spontaneity especially when eating out at friends or a restaurant. I don’t like to influence what friends cook and try and swerve as best I can but tbh it rarely happens these days. Looking at a menu trying to figure out if I can find something suitable and if they will do tweaks does for me suck the pleasure out,, eg sometimes the only safe bet is steak and salad which is NOT what I want to eat. Then you look at some of carbier options which look interesting but I cannot have. Frequently the protein can’t be separated from the sauce. We only eat out on holiday now and have two safe takeaways instead near home. Its one of the reasons I like the simplicity of Nandos.
Evening @PenguinMum and @Paul_

Provided that you and your fellow diners have decided on an eatery, I would go online before you meet up. Most restaurants have a website and publish the day's menus. I quite enjoy comtemplating my options, if I can do so in my own time.

Of course it's altogether different if you feel pressured to reach a decision quickly, because everyone else is ready to order!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops, asparagus spears smothered with butter, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and sage, baked with red peppers and mushrooms, moistened with double cream and topped with extra mature Cheddar cheese.
Steamed French beans with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, avocado, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and Halkidiki olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

flonvic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 2 meal day today
Brunch kefir then one slice of bacon, egg, mushrooms (cooked in olive oil) and low carb toast. Thought I'd do a breakfast photo today
View attachment 66100
Also had a spoon of my cooked rhubarb and yoghurt
Dinner hm chicken curry with LC roti. Also had two long gin drinks each made with a shot of gin mixed with a dash of my 'cordial' from cooking rhubarb a few days ago with lemons and ginger.( I'd left ginger and lemon in leftover cooking liquid and popped in fridge). Because of pink rhubarb it's a lovely pink colour and with addition of soda water made a wonderful long gin fizz. For pudding had some 100% chocolate with decaffeinated coffee.
Your brunch looks lovely and such a pretty plate.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: RyVita with cheddar melted on top, in the microwave. Not a great breakfast, but the thought of standing to make bacon and egg meant I'd just have gone without anything otherwise.
I just did a Google search on 'bacon and eggs microwave'. which yielded lots of results that look quick, easy and tasty.
With the microwave easier for you to use at the moment, this may be a good solution for some tastier breakfasts. :)
Might be worth looking into some other microwavable foods as well.
Tomorrow will be a surprise. :)
My best friend (who I don't see nearly enough between my anxiety on driving and being away from home, and her children and nasty chronic illness) and her friend have rented a holiday cottage near to me for two nights.
Had an absolutely amazing and very long day with my friend, her friend (who I was in class with when we were 10), and their children, they both have two, aged 6, 8, 9, and 12.
My Libre graph from today looks like I'm cured, food and activity must have been perfectly in balance. I took my first insulin of the day (apart from my long acting of course) at 8:30 pm, after coming home and before having a beer, and haven't needed anything to nudge my BG up either.

They came to my place first, feeding all the animals in my muddy garden was a true adventure, and everyone started the day with muddy clothes.
Zoo was next, they munched on sanwiches, I had brought a couple of hard boiled eggs and had them with their cheese and salami. I also brought some low carb bread but didn't eat it.

After that it was the swim I dared them to do.
Turned out a much bigger adventure than anticipated. There is a small swimming pond close to the holiday cottage they rented, which looked like the perfect spot. You reach it over a small path, which turned out to be very muddy, so we were all slipping and sliding with our cars. First car made it to the end of the path before getting stuck, my friend and I decided to turn around halfway. She managed, I got stuck as well. :hilarious:
With 4 children and two adults pushing, and the third adult spinning her wheels to geve us a nice mud spray, we got the first car out of the deepest mud, and decided to go swimming first.

The youngest was the bravest, she simply took off her clothes and walked into the cold water before any of us were even ready, that's one cool 6 year old girl!
The rest of the children and I quickly followed, and they all went in, head and all! :joyful:

After wrestling my car free as well, and a scary slipping ride down the path we went to their place where the children took care of the fire for the sauna, which they love, giving us some space.

We had a lovely evening meal: olives, sausages (warm and cold) cheeses, pesto, raw bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, egg mayo, and spaghetti for the children. :hungry:

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you ever slow cook @RosemaryJackson it's not only a good way to get cooking done before going out but it's also a brilliant way to get gravy. For example today I'm slow cooking a beef casserole. I soaked some dried woodland mushrooms (Waitrose cooks ingredients not foraging - I don't know enough) overnight and then use this as a simple but tasty stock. Put mushrooms and resultant liquid stock into slow cooker with a few veggies, the meat and lots of onion powder, and herbs and spices to taste I use some paprika, garlic and celery salt. I often just use the gravy as it is from the slow cooker as it's so tasty but if you like your gravy thicker you can put some of the resulting stock into a small pan and reduce down. If making a strogannoff type meal - add a dash of cream to the gravy as it thickens it. You can keep remaining liquid from casserole in fridge for a few days and warm in a pan for gravy to go with other meals or freeze. Ideally too you'll have made more than one portion for leftover meals and in leftovers the gravy thickens too.
Great to see you sounding happier with your food.
I add half a teaspoon or so of xanthan gum to my slow cooker stews close to the end of their cooking time. It works well.