1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Smoked salmon, broccoli sprouts and green chili.
    C58DCB08-DE5C-4371-840D-7E2847FC456A.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Well the fridge is nearly clear of all the bad stuff! Said goodbye at lunch to the white bread with one slice toasted with two poached eggs crammed on top along with a coffee. Tonight will be lamb chops with two Portobello mushrooms with maybe brie on top tonight and might try some fried cauliflower rice washed down with my trusty friend Coke Zero, followed by some strawberries and extra thick double cream. Was wondering actually if mixing some double cream with coke zero would give an interesting low carb smoothie or just an upset stomach! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Onlinecaroline

Onlinecaroline · Well-Known Member

Another accidentally OMAD + today. Woke up late and then the WIFI wouldn’t work so it was 3.30pm before I realised I hadn’t eaten. So had a pack of S and V Curators pork puffs.

Dinner: T Bone with creamed spinach, mushrooms, Savoy cabbage and some swede fries. With home made bernaise sauce.

Afters is going to be a KCK chocolate orange brownie and tea.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Max68

Just a quickie to mention a bit of luck I had earlier, which is a rare entity these days! Picked up my click and collect and two Picanha Steaks and the celeriac were down as the 20th February re use by date, which is today. I asked if it was possible to see if a later date was available but the chap just said if I wanted I could take them and he would also give me a refund for the items. Quite handy when it's two steaks - Result!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Evening all.

@Max68 not jealous of the Picanha at all.

Two meaty meals here. Lunch was a reverse seared bone-in veal rib. Topped it with some home made herb butter which used unpasteurised butter, garlic granules, rosemary and thyme. Boy was it good! (pic in carnivore corner).

Dinner - in 2 stages. Wasn’t sure if I was hungry so cooked half a pack of lamb ribs, coated in lemon pepper and air fried. Yum. And wanted more, so then cooked and ate the rest.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Max68

Goonergal,, hearing a lot about air fried, and air fryers and really intrigued. Just googled it but none the wiser so do you mind explaining what it is and how easy it is?

8. Goonergal

Staff Member

It’s easy peasy. Air frying is a way of cooking without oil - it uses hot air and is basically a mini-oven. There are a range of options from pretty cheap models with ‘baskets’ through to more expensive multi-function options.

My first was this model: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-AF1-Fryer-1500W-Recipe/dp/B00FQKCSAY which I liked and used a lot, but the non-stick coating started peeling.

I now have this one, which was about half the price of similar models elsewhere (this was from Lidl), but I’d happily pay full whack if replacing. It has shelves rather than a basket = bigger capacity and also things like a rotisserie function. The shelves are stainless steel, so there will be no problem with non-stick peeling off.

https://youtu.be/nGlzwXazmEQ

It’s very easy - prep food, select time and temperature and off you go. Tonight for example, I simply took the lamb ribs out of the plastic, rubbed lemon pepper seasoning on them, stuck them on a shelf and 15 mins later they were ready.

9. Max68

Fantastic thank you, sounds great. I might well be investing this week!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
    Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar
    Skipped lunch.
    Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
    Dinner Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Everything up to that last sentence sounds great mind you my mum used to make Cola Floats - Coke with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top, we loved them although they looked horrible as the ice cream melted and they went a sludgy colour.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

3 meals for me today. Breakfast supposed to be 2 soft boiled eggs with asparagus dipping ‘soldiers’. As usual when cooking eggs I wandered out of the kitchen and forgot about them. At least they hadn’t boiled dry and exploded this time but they were very hard boiled.
    Lunch was h/m mackerel pate, 1 slice Mestermacher bread and a dollop of supergreen sauerkraut. DGF blondie to follow.
    Dinner: 2 lamb chops, 1 slice lambs liver with a few fried onions and cabbage cooked in butter. 2 glasses red.

• Like Like x 4
  13. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Saw the photo - my! that looks good! How did you cook it after searing?

14. Goonergal

Staff Member

It was reverse seared - so very low oven (gas 2) for about 30-35 mins and then a very hot frying pan with beef dripping for about 1 min on each side. Then no need to rest after reverse searing so cut an onto plate. Really tender and delicious. Will be buying it again!

15. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Beef is the theme here this weekend. We are a household of 3 so took 2 x 2 packs of steak out of the freezer. On cooking them last night found they were quite large and could do 2 between 3 so, last night plain steak. Tonight is the other 2 but sliced, added mushrooms, brandy and cream to make stroganoff served over rice for the boys and cabbage for me.
    Had forgotten that I had bought beef for tomorrow's roast...! So will be beef at least 4 dinners in a row

Lunch was camembert that was running nicely out of the box. Granola bars

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Brunch - 90 sec mug bread microwaved then finished off in frying pan (I like food well done) - I cut it in to 3 slices - 1 slice with garlic butter melted on it and with the other 2 I made a sandwich with a slice of cheddar cheese and garlic butter in the middle. Usual mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 squares Lindtt 90% - and I have just had another 2 squares got the munchies tonight ... looks like wine o'clock time too ...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yesterdays was bacon and eggs, fried tomatoes for breakfast, lunch on the run chicken and salad roll. Dinner was rump steak and green vegs, two small low carb potatoes and gravy.

Washed down with water and black coffee to keep the fluids up. :)

I can see there are some nice mix and match recipe ideas in this thread that will give me a bit of a idea.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I love soft boiled eggs, but I prefer my asparagus with hard boiled eggs, mashed with melted butter and a bit of salt so this sounds perfect to me ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Goonergal

Staff Member

20. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook