The Contour NEXT ONE from Ascencia Diabetes Care builds on the Contour NEXT blood glucose meter by offering an accurate, feature-packed smart system to help people manage and understand their diabetes.
The Contour NEXT ONE aims to be as simplistic as possible during set-up and blood testing It is easy to navigate and instructions are straightforward to follow.
Once the meter has been connected with the Contour Diabetes App on your smartphone, logging blood glucose results is not only easier but it helps you understand how everyday activities can affect your levels. These results can also be shared with your healthcare professional.
The Contour NEXT ONE is sleeker than previous Contour models, and it continues with some of the popular features of the Contour NEXT, including the reapplication of blood to the same test strip.
Smartphone app integration
There are two parts to the Contour NEXT ONE: the meter and the Contour Diabetes app, which connect seamlessly.
Once you have downloaded the app on your smartphone – from either the App Store or Google Play – the meter can be integrated and blood glucose results can be captured. These are then automatically synchronised and logged wirelessly via Bluetooth.
Once synchornised, meter readings appear immediately through the app, which includes 90 days’ worth of data featuring trends and averages.
However, turning Bluetooth off can result in the app and the meter struggling to sync. You can either keep turning Bluetooth on and off to conserve battery life or leave it on all the time if you’re happy to charge your phone more often.
The smart-LIGHT feature
A particularly simple but effective method of showing if your blood glucose levels are in target; the smart-LIGHT feature displays one of three colours after tests:
- Green for levels within target range
- Red for levels below target range
- Orange for levels above target range
Additional Contour NEXT ONE features
- Remarkably accurate testing – accuracy standards allow meters a deviation of 15%; the Contour NEXT ONE’s standards are 8.4%
- Add events to your readings – diet, activity and medication can be added in the form of photos, notes or voice memos to contextualise your results, helping you make more sense of them
- The Second-Chance system – allows users to apply more blood to the same test strip if the first sample is insufficient, avoiding the need to waste test strips
- Holds up to 800 test results
- Get smartALERT updates to let you know when your levels are critically low or high
- Reports can be shared with healthcare professionals
- At just 97 mm (L) x 28 mm (W) x 14.9 mm (H), the Contour NEXT ONE is extremely compact
Is the Contour NEXT ONE for me?
There is a lot to like about the Contour NEXT ONE.
The Contour Diabetes app enables a large quantity of data to be stored which can help you understand where and why any changes are occurring with your blood glucose levels.
Moreover, the smart-LIGHT colour system is a terrific feature that can be extremely rewarding when you get the green light appear. This also serves as motivation to keep your blood glucose levels within range.
- Blood sample size: 0.6 microlitres
- Time to result: 5 seconds
- Measurement range: 0.6 – 33.3 mmol/L
- Memory: 800 test results
- Averages: 7, 14, 30 and 90 days
- Battery: 2 three-volt CR2032 or DL2032 coin cell batteries. 225 mAh capacity
- Battery life: Approximately 1,000 tests
- Dimensions: 97 mm (L) x 28 mm (W) x 14.9 mm (H)
- Weight: 36 grams
- Meter life: 5 years