The Accu-Chek Expert is a blood glucose meter that could be described in mobile phone vernacular as a ‘smart meter’, as the monitor can calculate your suggested insulin doses in terms of insulin to carbohydrate ratio and other personalised settings.
The meter is deserving of the Expert name as it is has a huge range of in-depth features. It is also one of few devices on the market to have a colour screen.
The Accu-Chek Expert meets the 2013 ISO standards for blood glucose meter accuracy.
Accu-Chek Aviva Expert system
The Accu-Chek Aviva Expert provides:
- Offers bolus advice
- Colour screen
- Back light for use during the night
- Results within a few seconds
- No coding required
- Charts, graphs and tables are available to track your recent results in the palm of your hand
- Multiple safety reminders and pre- and post-meal markers and reminders – useful if you are new to diabetes
The Accu-Chek Expert has a rubber texture, which gives users a firm grip and prevents sliding off surfaces.
Users can be confident in replacing the batteries as it takes three AAA batteries, which are widely available.
Confidence and control for managing your diabetes
Providing confidence and control for people using Multiple Daily Injections, the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert system is clinically proven to reduce HbA1c.
Users have reported a reduced fear of hypoglycemia and an overall improvement to their wellbeing/life with diabetes.
Providing bolus advice
The Accu-Chek Aviva Expert bolus advisor system will provide you with recommendations on the amount of insulin for food intake, based on your:
- Current blood glucose test
- Expected food intake
- Current health or activity
- Individual settings such as your carbohydrate to insulin ratio and insulin sensitivity
Blood glucose range correction
The Accu-Chek Expert will also suggest corrections for blood glucose levels that are not within your target range, helping you achieve improved control.
You are still in control of the amount of insulin you administer but the device provides you with a suggestion that will correct your high or low blood glucose levels which can be useful for new and long term diabetics alike.
Available from Diabetes Specialist Nurses
The Accu-Chek Aviva Expert system requires pre-setting with information such as your ideal blood glucose range and carbohydrate to insulin ratio for correct usage.
Therefore, this device is only available from your diabetes specialist nurse.
Accu-Chek Aviva Expert technical details
- Blood sample size: 0.6 microlitres
- Memory: 1,000 diary entries
- Averages: 7, 14, 30, and 90 day including pre and post meal averages
- Meter size: 55mm x 94mm x 25mm approx
- Screen size: 34mm x 28mm approx
- Weight: 103g (including batteries)
- Batteries: 3X AAA batteries