Diabetes and Weight Management

Maintaining a healthy weight is important
Maintaining a healthy weight is important

Eating well and maintaining a stable weight is particularly important for people with diabetes, so we figured that learning more about weight management was long overdue. Lowering waist measurement will help to improve your blood sugar control and reduce the risk of diabetes complications.

The diabetes community recently called for the creation of a weight loss forum, but how do you manage your weight as a diabetic?

Reaching a healthy weight may seem like a serious challenge, but it can seriously improve your long-term health. As well as self-esteem and a greater quality of life, losing weight helps you to feel fit and healthy.

There are a variety of different approaches to losing weight, with each individual experiencing weight loss in a different way.

Do I need to lose weight?

Waist circumference can tell you if you need to lose weight, using the following guidelines:

Waist circumference measurements

• White and black men should be below 94cm (37 inches)
  • Asian men should be below 90cm (35 inches)
  • White, black and Asian women should be below 80cm

Body Mass Index determines weight in relation to height. To learn more about your BMI please check our BMI calculator. If you are confused about your BMI, discuss it with your healthcare team.

How do I lose weight?

Motivation is the key in losing weight. Write down why you want to lose weight.

Stare at the challenges to time and budget head on, face them down and work around them.

If you need help in losing weight, your diabetes nurse, GP or dietician should be on hand to talk to you and help you.

Set yourself clear long and short-term goals to achieve as you lose weight. Write it down, and stick to it. Hopefully by reading the forum perspectives and threads below, those who feel they need to lose weight can find encouragement and support.

What the community is saying about weight loss

• Sid Bonkers: I couldn't have done what you have done, cutting out all the main carbohydrates almost completely I would have found impossible to do for life but luckily for me, by testing before and after every meal I was able to slowly cut back and adjust the amount of carbs in every meal. So I can still enjoy small amounts of bread, rice and potatoes every day. As I have posted before I have lost a little over 4 stones and managed to come off the insulin treatment I was put on at diagnosis just by eating less food and making GI choices whereever possible.
  • littlegreycat: When I was diagnosed as T2 a couple of years ago I immediately stopped all sugars, sweets, sugary puddings, on the principle that it is easier to stop than reduce.
  • Sugarless sue: Portion control. You may think that your portions are 'healthy', for a week weigh everything out so that you get to know visually what a 30gm portion is (or whatever portion you are aiming at). Every month or so do this again as our eyes sometimes deceive us!
  • Carty: You are great at getting us to read labels I think I may be banned from supermarkets for commenting to my husband (rather loudly) have you seen what's in this!
  • Patch: When you're losing weight, along with the body fat, you are also losing a lot of the toxins held in your body (the toxins are stored WITHIN the fat), so it's to be expected that you may feel a little down. It does pass, though.
Your Comments

losing weight is all abought will power. the answers simple lose weight. will help with your diabetic proplems seek doctors advice if in doubt..
Posted by david jones on Thursday, January 03, 2013
I was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus, thyroid and most of all a rear desease for asian like me. I have pituitary tumor. I have put on 19kgs since 2007. I have tried many ways to lose weight but of no avail.
Posted by Yixin on Tuesday, September 21, 2010
I have been put on Byetta and along with healthy eating I have lost 1.5 stone. It has been hard at times but when you fail just leave it for a day and start again and things really do work. I still have the odd treat here and there at work and I always use the stairs and not the lifts! I also try to eat my main meal before 6pm if I know I will be late in the next day I prepare my meal the day before. Simples.
Posted by Jennifer, midlands on Saturday, September 11, 2010
I didn't know where or how to start with losing weight - carbs, sugar etc! So I decided to check the sugar in everything and two years later I have lost two and a half stone and still losing. I guess that isn't a lot in that time but it is staying off only downside is it has cost me a lot of money - all my new clothes that I have had to buy! Yippee!
Posted by Angaleen, United Kingdom on Friday, September 10, 2010
I am stuggling with my weight and blood sugars. I have recently been put on Byetta and waiting to see how that works.
Posted by desperate deborah, stratford e15 2ad on Friday, September 10, 2010
I managed to lose 4 stone when I was diagnosed with T2 just 2.5 years ago. However, this made me feel very light headed and I had several hypos when out shopping. I am just very careful about what I eat and dont have sugary food, sweets, cakes or biscuits. I do have a healthy balanced diet including a few potatoes a week. I am only taking aspirin and no other medication. I have now got back to 12stone (I am 73 and 5 ft 10 inches tall) and find I can maintain this weight quite easily and feel well.
Posted by sheilac, Lancashire on Friday, September 10, 2010
I have underactive thyroid as well as diabetes. I find it extremely hard to lose weight. Nigh on impossible.
Posted by June on Friday, September 10, 2010
I am a coach driver, my working hours are anything between 11 and 14 hours per day. I have tendonitis in my achilles tendons. I am very overweight, going through the menopause and desperately need help with my diet. My husband and I eat a lot of processed and fast foods purely for the speed and convenience. At weekends we both do archery and take sandwiches or buy pasties, sausage rolls or the like to eat at lunch time. We do a lot of walking while we are shooting but not enough to get the heart going fast enough. When I am at work I am responsible for cleaning my allocated vehicle and that does give me excercise and I get a good sweat on - but not every day. Is there any body out there who can give me advice and tips on what to do?
Posted by Longbowlady, Bordon, Hampshire on Thursday, September 09, 2010
Since totally giving up sugar and using Splenda instead, combined with giving up mashed potatoes and butter, I have lost 2 stone in weight in approximately one year, with no effort at all!
Posted by ArumLily, Woking, Surrey on Thursday, September 09, 2010
I have type 2 diabetes and have joined Weight Watchers. Having lost nearly 50 lbs, I am now taking only 1 metformin daily instead of 4, with a fasting blood test showing a reading of 6.2 which is virtually non-diabetic. If you need to lose, it's difficult but keep at it!
Posted by Emily, Buckinghamshire on Thursday, September 09, 2010
Carb control is important, but the only sure way for me to lose weight is to exercise. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week (I am not a gym nut, just an ordinary person wanting to be healthy!). I lost 3 stone over 12 months, stopped going to the gym (because I am not a gym nut) and put it nearly all back on over 2 years, started exercising again and it coming off again - the proof is there to see!
Posted by Bob on Thursday, September 09, 2010