Cinnamon is a naturally sweet but sugar-free spice that comes from the bark of wild cinnamon trees. Studies suggest that it offers a lot of benefits for people with diabetes.
1. Cinnamon lowers blood pressure
2. Cinnamon lowers blood glucose levels and increases insulin sensitivity
3. Cinnamon lowers “bad” cholesterol
Cholesterol is complex. Put simply, there are two kinds of cholesterol. There’s “bad” cholesterol and “good” cholesterol. Bad cholesterol – known as LDL cholesterol – is the stuff that clogs up your arteries. Good cholesterol – known as HDL cholesterol – clears out LDL cholesterol.
Research suggests that cinnamon lowers LDL cholesterol and raises HDL cholesterol.
High cholesterol levels mean a higher risk of heart disease, one of the most common complications of diabetes. People with diabetes need to be extra careful when it comes to keeping their heart healthy.
Take a look at this study for more on cinnamon and cholesterol.
4. Cinnamon can treat the symptoms of Alzheimer’s
Research suggests that cinnamon helps neurons and improves motor function in people who have Alzheimer’s.
5. Cinnamon has some cancer-preventing properties
It’s only been shown in animal studies, but it seems that cinnamon has anti-carcinogenic properties. This is good news for people with diabetes, who have a higher risk of some types of cancer.
6. Cinnamon reduces inflammation
Research shows that including cinnamon in a regular diet can significantly reduce systemic inflammation.
Learn more here.
7. Cinnamon helps the pain from arthritis
The other kind of inflammation is called specific inflammation. It causes headaches and arthritis pain. There are close links between diabetes and arthritis.
Learn more here.
We do our best to bring you relevant diabetes products that we believe in. Everything is as competitively priced as we can make it. If you liked this blog post, you might be interested in:
- Triple Zero Stevia: Speaking of sugar-free sweetness, Stevia is a 100 per cent natural, zero-calorie alternative to sugar. It won’t spike your blood glucose levels at all.
- EasyBetic Cinnamon Capsules – 250mg x 60 capsules + free postage: Now you know the benefits of cinnamon, but there’s more to EasyBetic than that. EasyBetic is a cinnamon-based supplement that’s full of Chromium, Zinc and other goodies.
- EasyBetic Cinnamon Capsules x 180