The FreeStyle Navigator from Abbott is a Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) device featuring an on-body sensor and transmitter and an off-body receiver.
The FreeStyle Navigator has been superceded by the newer FreeStyle Navigator II
The sensor is inserted using an insertion device. There is a broad adhesive pad, which makes for a safe, solid base onto which the wireless transmitter attaches.
The sensor and transmitter are usually placed on the stomach or on the back of the upper arm.
The insertion device allows for the sensor to be put in places that other CGM inserters may not allow for due to the limitations of handling the insertion device.
This is because some are larger, some require a certain angle for insertio, either of which can lead to some areas being less accessible than others for placement of the sensor and transmitter.
The receiver for the FreeStyle Navigator is not an insulin pump (as is the case with Medtronic CGM systems and the Animas Vibe) but is a stand-alone unit can take blood glucose tests, allowing you to easily calibrate the CGM.
The FreeStyle Navigator requires 4 calibration tests to be taken at approximately 10, 12, 24 and 72 hours after the sensor is inserted.
The CGM will alert you as to when a calibration test is required.
Up to the minute data
The receiver’s screen shows a graph showing your ongoing readings, one every minute. Note that the receiver needs to be within 3m of the transmitter to continue to provide data.
You can see the graph, the current reading in number form (e.g. 8.5mmols/l) and it has an easy to understand arrow that indicates if your glucose levels are trending up or down.
- Measurement range: 1.1 to 27.8 mmol/l
- Sensor life: Up to 5 days
- Operating skin surface temperature: 25° to 40° C
- Size: 52 x 31 x 11 mm
- Weight: 14 g (including battery)
- Batteries: One silver oxide 357 HC battery
- Battery life: Approximately 30 days
- Waterproof: Suitable for water use up to 30 minutes in a depth of 1 metre
- Size: 63 x 82 x 22 mm
- Weight: 99 g (with 2 AAA batteries)
- Batteries: x2 AAA batteries
- Battery life: 60 days of normal use
- Test strips: FreeStyle Lite
- Time for result: 7 seconds
- Hematocrit: 15 to 65%
System operating and storage conditions
- Operating temperature: 4°to 40° C
- Operating and storage altitude: Sea level to 3,048 m