The Guardian REAL-Time system is a stand alone continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system, from Medtronic, that is designed to be used by people on multiple daily injection therapy.
The Guardian REAL-Time monitor resembles a similar appearance to Medtronic’s MiniMed Paradigm Veo insulin pump but is a little bulky compared with CGM recivers such as the Dexcom G4 Platinum or the Abbott FreeStyle Navigator II
As with other CGMs, the Guardian REAL-Time system is composed of three main elements, a glucose sensor that is attached to the body, a transmitter to attach to the sensor and a monitor that receives data wirelessly from the transmitter.
If you are o, or considering going onto, a Medtronic pump, note that Medtronic pumps include direct integration with Medtronic’s CGM sensors and transmitters and may present a better oiption for you than having a separate CGM system.
Calibration of the CGM is made easier if you use, or switch to using, the Bayer Contour NEXT Link blood glucose meter which communicates wirelessly with the Guardian REAL-Time system.
- Dimensions: 51 x 81 x 20 mm
- Monitor weight: Approximately 79 grams (with battery installed)
- Battery: Standard 1.5 V AAA alkaline battery (Energizer brand recommended)
- Communicator range with transmitter: 1.8 m
- Communicator range with blood glucose meter: 1.2 m
- Battery life: 14 days of continuous glucose monitoring
- Charger: Completes 40 typical charging operations using a new AAA battery