You can be a diabetes expert with our diabetes facts. Don’t forget to share them with your friends and family so they know about diabetes too!
General diabetes facts
- There are two main types of diabetes: type 1 and type 2, although there are lots of other less common types
- Type 1 diabetes is sometimes called juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes is managed using insulin injections or an insulin pump
- About 9 out of 10 adults with diabetes have type 2 diabetes
- Type 2 used to be called non-insulin dependent diabetes, although some require insulin to control their blood sugars
- Type 2 diabetes is managed by diet, exercise and sometimes medication.
- We are living in exciting times. Now we know that people can make type 2 diabetes better. Some people have been able to come off medication and become really healthy.
Diabetes in the UK
- Millions of people in the UK have diabetes
- In the UK, the NHS gives people free healthcare for people with diabetes. That’s a wonderful gift for people with this condition.
- Diabetes affects around 400 million adults worldwide – that’s a lot of people that share this condition!
- In some countries getting insulin for diabetes is a real struggle.n
- Even in a very rich country like the USA, some people cannot afford insulin.
- China is the country with the most people with diabetes.
- World Diabetes Day is on November 14th every year
- Diabetes was given its name by the Greek Physician Aretaeus (30-90CE), but the history of the disease can be dated back to ancient Egypt!
- Diabetes was given its name by an ancient Greek doctor but the history of diabetes can be dated further back to ancient Egypt.
- The first insulin injection to someone was given to a boy in Canada in 1921 – a truly lifechanging moment!
Random diabetes facts
- Diabetes doesn’t have to prevent you from achieving your dreams. Prime Minister Theresa May has type 1 diabetes
- Many celebrities and sportspeople have diabetes
Fancy a Quick Game?
If you get tired of reading about diabetes, just have a rest by placing our Cowboy Game !
Once you’ve got an awesome high score, you can carry on reading!
Hey, it wouldn’t be a good Kids Section if we didn’t have games!
Everyone loves games!