The Abbott FreeStyle Optium, previously called the Optioum Xceed, is a simple and effective blood glucose meter the helps people with diabetes to manage their condition.
The advance brought by the FreeStyle Optium was the ability to take blood ketone tests. This capability is shared by the new, and even more advanced, FreeStyle Optium Neo.
FreeStyle Optium Features
- Simple blood glucose testing
- Large backlit display
- 450 test memory
- 7, 14 and 30 day averages
- Ketone testing for extra reassurance
- Compatible with Abbott’s FreeStyle Auto-Assist Software
Featuring a large backlit display the FreeStyle Optium can return a test result in three seconds, and is therefore still one of the fastest meters on the market.
The FreeStyle Optium also features ketone testing, providing the extra reassurance that some people with diabetes need.
Some insulin-using diabetics face greater risks of ketoacidosis, including:
- Insulin pumpers
- Pregnant women
Detecting rising blood ketone levels at an early stage allows prompt action, before damaging DKA forms.
The FreeStyle Optium uses individually foil wrapped Optium test strips for self-testing which helps preserve freshness.
These improved test strips automatically calibrate the blood glucose meter to use new strips.
- Blood glucose sample size: 0.6 µl
- Blood ketone sample size: 1.5 µl
- Memory: 450 events (including blood glucose, blood ketone and control solution results)
- Averages: 7, 14 and 30 days
- Battery: One CR 2032 Lithium battery
- Battery life: Around 1,000 tests
- Dimensions: 75 x (43-53) x 16 mm
- Weight: 42g
- Operating temperature: 10° to 50° C
- Humidity: 10% to 90% (non-condensing)
- Storage temperature: –25° to 55° C